BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Windshield

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  QuickSilver 
#1 ·
OK, from what I've read it sounds like I'm best off to order my new bike with the stock shield and then if I want more protection to order one of the 3 or 4 aftermarket shields because:

1) In warm summer weather I'll likely want the lower shield to keep lots of air flow and turbulance shouldn't be too bad.

2) In cooler air I can pop on a larger shield and get more protection from wind, rain, snow etc.

3) A new aftermarket shield is about the same price as swapping the original BMW shield for a longer one (which means for the same price I can buy an aftermarket shield and keep the original BMWer one).

That about it or anybody have any other comments?

#4 ·
I just took off a Cee Bailey +6 +3 and put on a tall CalSci windshield. The CalSci seems narrow, but the airflow is good so far. I haven't got many miles on it yet, but so far I get less turbulence and more smooth air.

The factory tall windshield (came with my bike) is still sitting in its factory wrapping in the garage as I had the CB screen added before I took delivery of the bike.

The toughest part is which after maket shield to choose, and how tall. Everybody's different, with different expectations. Getting advice from other s help, but like buying the bike, you really need to try it yourself to see what works best.

#6 ·
Hi to all, I am a new guy here.

Just thought I would throw another option into the mix here for a replacement windshield.
I have been testing a new shield from AeroFlow (www.aeroflowscreens.com)for a while now.
So much better than stock tall shield I can't even describe it.
I have tried the short shield a couple of times and it is just not quite clearing the air flow over my head, but it is so close.
I am currently running what will be the tall shield and it is fantastic. I have it set so that I look over the top of it while cruising on the freeway and I lower it when I get in the twisties (Every chance I get).
For reference I am 6' tall and have the standard seat set in the high position with heli bar extenders (1" back). I just turned over 16,000 miles on the bike (2007 K1200 GT), last 6,500 miles running with the AeroFlow.
These shields should be going into production very soon.
If all goes well, I should be testing the AeroGuards next week. They attach to the sides of the existing fairing to expand the quiet envelope for 2 up riding or poor weather riding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.