Appreciate the help, but did it actually hurt me? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Appreciate the help, but did it actually hurt me?

I rode over to my folks' house early this morning and hit the hay as I had been up all night and then rode 3.5 hours to get there. When I woke up, my dad was excited to show me my bike. He's always mentioning how clean it would look if I used aluminum wheel cleaner on the bits. I woke up and he had done exactly that. The wheels, gearbox, and accessible motor parts had all been hit with that stuff. I didn't say anything (what's the point?) but I'm a little pissed as road grime doesn't bother me and hey, it's my damn bike. Is there any kind of protective coating that is now gone? This is an 87 K100LT. He also did it around the rear throttle bodies and then sprayed water. WTF?????? :wtf I really don't care about dirt as long as the bikes not a filthy mess.

Can you tell he's a former Harley owner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 5:13 pm
Looking for better limits...

So, can't answer until you provide pics

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 3:24 am
Addict

Find out what stuff he used first. If it hasn't damaged the finish and just made the bike clean, invite your buddys over and your dad could make a few dimes!

He thought he was helping and did it from the heart so you can't be too hard, but find out what the stuff was. If it was a detergent based oil remover it would probably be OK, if it was anything with solvent in it it possibly not.

I'm presently trying to strip BMW finish from parts like the gearbox and rear housing due to salt water damage and I can tell you I'm struggling to find anything that strips their finish. I'm not saying their paint is good, because it's so hard that if you get any water creep, the paint just holds together with the metal underneath corroding to white powder. In the short time he used the stuff you may have lost a bit of the surface lacquer shine, but I doubt if you'd get much serious damage. I think their paint may be epoxy, but I'm not sure. They don't appear to use the usual base coat etch primers.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 12:47 pm
Veteran

If its an acid base cleaner your probly ok.......but if you want to get a good protector for your paint ...get some "Liquid Glass" polish.....and give it a few coats...4 hrs between coats is best....the cleaner he used got right down to the paint surface....so think of it as a very clean suface to start with a great protector.......and shines like a diamond in a goats ass...and wipes off as slick as dog shit in wet grass.....Its the best Gerry....THE BEST!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:08 am Thread Starter

The stuff was an acid-based aluminum cleaner for open-pore, uncoated, cast aluminum. These weren't painted parts. If there was any kind of protective coating, it's gone now. It's definitely cleaner. I agree that it was done out of kindness, but it's still a little frustrating. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing something like this to his Harley.

Incidentally, if you're looking to strip finish off, this stuff might work. It's NAPA brand aluminum wheel cleaner.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero
The stuff was an acid-based aluminum cleaner for open-pore, uncoated, cast aluminum. These weren't painted parts. If there was any kind of protective coating, it's gone now. It's definitely cleaner. I agree that it was done out of kindness, but it's still a little frustrating. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing something like this to his Harley.

Incidentally, if you're looking to strip finish off, this stuff might work. It's NAPA brand aluminum wheel cleaner.
Perhaps you should wash his Harley, using a steel brush and a cleanser like Comet or other abrasive. He might get the point...

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2008, 5:34 pm

Just browsing the forums here.

I agree with BAK04GT that Liquid Glass is the BEST. Well at least their instructional videos.

http://www.liquidglass.com/media/INSTRUCTIONAL.wmv

Hope your bike is still OK.

Cheers! - Walt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode