driveshaft boot - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 8:00 pm Thread Starter
Addict

driveshaft boot

the boot on the GT, (and probably the RS) driveshaft has two black plastic wire ties for clamps. if any of you have experienced weeping from the driveshaft boot, i suggest replacing them with the stainless clamps used on the LT. they fixed my weeping, i don't know why they went el-cheapo but there is a fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 9:08 pm
Looking for better limits...

Weeping? Uh...me thinks you have a leak where there shouldn't be one. Pinion seal may be ready for replacement. The boots are like the boots on shock absorbers, there to keep road grime off of the moving parts. The ty-wraps should be fine for the job.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 9:37 pm
Enthusiast

I agree with Razel - the boots are not holding in oil they are for keeping dirt out. If your ties were a little loose it may have been to your advantage ,because you have seen a leak of sorts. You may have a problem in the making that you can remedy now before it gets worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 4:24 am Thread Starter
Addict

i just got it back from it's 18k service, all is well with the seal. weeping is normal, i just don't want it to collect dirt on the outside of the differential case.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 7:25 am
Addict

I just looked at mine. They're held on with plastic tiewraps, not so tight as i could move the boot around. If there was oil in there it would come out and I'd see it, so I'd go with the posts saying it shouldn't be there and there must be a leak. Presumably by sealing it all up, it will eventually fill up with oil and burst out all over the wheel somehow, whilst leaving the transmission box low on oil?

Unless the bikes under warranty and oil is pouring out, It's probably one of things you plan to fix at the next convenient service point whilst keeping an eye on oil levels.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 8:57 am
"Hey Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmith1953
..........weeping is normal.........
When you take a Ducati in for service, yes.
When you are discussing the proper function of a BMW rear drive seal, no.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:00 am Thread Starter
Addict

a shaft seal lubricates itself with the fluid it is containing, the boot should not have enough oil in it to pour out but i assure you if you open the clamp and run your finger inside the boot, it will not be dry. wicking may be a better description than weeping, sorry.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2005, 7:28 am
Enthusiast

Exclamation

Keep an eye on the oil level in your final drive. Oil in that boot most likely is from the final drive, and since it holds so little oil being an once or 2 low could be enough to cause the unit to run hot. And that could lead to bearing failure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2005, 12:56 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmith1953
a shaft seal lubricates itself with the fluid it is containing, the boot should not have enough oil in it to pour out but i assure you if you open the clamp and run your finger inside the boot, it will not be dry. wicking may be a better description than weeping, sorry.
Well, ok. I'll just have to sit on the other side of the fence and leave it at "I disagree". I had some black "residue" on the back side of the boot. "The pinion seal needs to be replaced." Ok, so be it...now that it's been "repaired", 15k miles later, no oil, no black residue, no weeping. This is on a 2003 GT, so I may have errored in thinking yours was similar in design.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode