Maintenance Costs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 9:56 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile Maintenance Costs

Does anyone know the approximate dealer prices for the following procedures?

Brake fluid system service
Valve adjust (not just a check)

This is for an '03 KRS. Just gimme ballpark, fellas.

Scotty
Stanwood, WA
www.r1150rt.smugmug.com

"I have nothing to prove. I just like to ride."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:22 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty

Brake fluid system service $350.00
Valve adjust (not just a check) $110.00 done while being serviced

Not sure what the cost would be outside of the normal service, as I'm sure the price includes having the plastic already off, etc.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 5:31 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

Brake fluid change

I was quoted $150 to change the brake fluid on a 03RS. 2.5 hours

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 7:25 pm

I was quoted $400 for my 12K with synthetic IF the valves need adjusting. About $100 less if the valves are OK, so, that is pretty much in line with what Ray said.

I am also having my annual done at the same time, which includes the brake fluid flush/change. They said it woudl be about $100 extra. This is more in line with Lee's pricing. Ray, it sounds like your $350 is way out of line unless it also includes changing out the pads, etc.

Randy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2005, 1:22 am

The prices vary GREATLY amongst different dealers and locations. Quotes I received last month for 12 and annual was $600 to $700 to $400 range (without value check). Still amazed at the cost difference between my local extorsionist and with folks like htheater.

You can piecemeal items, just ask them how they charge for them, usually they go by the book for time....believe valve check I received was 60 work units, 12 units per ~hour, ~5 hours. Hourly rate of $70, so $350 for valve check and replacement...no replacements, was about an hour less, ~$290. This would be why I decided to do my 12k valve check, and everything else myself (costing me $26 bucks for a new gasket and $4 for sealer). Next time I will probably have to replace one intake tappet, but one saturday afternoon of my time is well worth saving $300 bucks.

Brake flush is 35 units, ~3 hours, $210. Going to wait until it I have actually had it year (so spring time) before I do it.

Fault code check and brake bleed down test (something you cannot DIY) from my dealer is a minimum 30 minute charge (even thought it takes them less than 10 minutes of work), ~$40 with taxes.

Annual will usually be cheaper if you have it done with other service/inspection.

For my DIY maintains costs this year (just the parts and the fault check/bleed test):
6k service - $100
12k inspection - $200
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2005, 1:21 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by htheater
I was quoted $400 for my 12K with synthetic IF the valves need adjusting. About $100 less if the valves are OK, so, that is pretty much in line with what Ray said.

I am also having my annual done at the same time, which includes the brake fluid flush/change. They said it woudl be about $100 extra. This is more in line with Lee's pricing. Ray, it sounds like your $350 is way out of line unless it also includes changing out the pads, etc.

Randy
Hard to say, as I haven't been actually charged for the brake fluid change, just that it was quoted to be a 4 hour job plus fluid, including the computer check. I've changed the fluid once, with Gary's help, along with two other K1200's on a Tech Day. It's not a simple proceedure, so while 4 hours seems a bit much, 3 wouldn't surprise me. There were four of us working on three bikes, and I think we spend about 6 hours. Keep in mind there were at least two, maybe three working on one bike, so the "shop" rate would be based on 2 hours per bike with 2½ people working on it. $70.00/hr shop rate is $175/hr assuming we're qualified as Master BMW Braking System Technicians.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty

Valve adjust (not just a check)

Just got my bike back from its 12K-mile service. After the valve clearances were inspected, the shop phoned me to authorize 2 additional hours labor to adjust one of my exhaust valves. (BTW, I'm pretty sure he said the clearance was larger than spec.)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 8:28 pm
Enthusiast

24K service on 03K12RS

Having work done on my bike this winter (odometer at 22,6xx) due to oil leak. Will have 24K service done now beacuse of oil leak (front end and valve cover) and clutch seal leak. Warranty work will pull all front end plastic except for front fender. Removal of raditor to get at front end oil leak, so bike is really down to bare-boned skelleton.

Stopped at dealer today to see progress. looks like more warranty work found as service pulled tranny. Replacement drive shaft arrived today. With bike in bare-bone condition, having steel-braided brake and clutch lines installed (save labor cost due to warranty work on oil leak), they cleaned up wiring for autoswitch (now looks like a factory install with pia lights under oil cooler along with dual fiam horns). Front end now has steel-braided lines on for breaks and cluth (brake lines about 1 inch too long but I have bars in forward position since I'm 6'5", so I'm guessing with bars in back position puts that about right for length).

I ordered Navigator II today for install (discount and rebate put NavII at about $1k plus a little for labor since bike in naked condition for warranty work). Already have clear lens kits for front and rear indicators installed and will have Brake! LED installed now.

When bike is done, will post cost for 24K service and brake\clutch steel-braided upgrade along with Navigator II install. Bike will be mint condition when out of shop.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 4:22 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by htheater
I was quoted $400 for my 12K with synthetic

Randy
Randy, did you mean synthetic brake fluid? I thought all the K's could only use DOT 4 compatible with their seal parts - or was there a change for more recent models? Just curious as my '97 manual definitely says DOT4 which I use.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 8:03 am

Vox,

No, what I meant by synthetic was the engine oil. The tranny and final were already switched to synthetic at the 6K service. I only specified this since they charge more for synthetic than dino and we were discussing prices!

The brake fluid they used to flush the system was standard BMW fluid (I assume DOT 4).

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode