'92 K75s front end shake...any thoughts? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

'92 K75s front end shake...any thoughts?

For some time I've noticed a wobble in the front end that is more pronounced when cornering left than when going straight or cornering right. I've been milking the last out of the front tire for cash flow reasons, and thought that if when I replace the tire it's still there, I'll start looking deeper into the issue.

In the meantime I've replaced the rear tire and shock (got a Hagon shock, like it very much), as these were much more pressing concerns.

Well, now the shake is getting worse. In the past couple days I've noticed that if I take my hands off the handle bars with the throttle closed (sometimes I need two hands to close a zipper on my Roadcrafter, etc.), the bars SHAKE. I mean they shake so badly I've wondered if it would actually devolve into a bona fide tank slapper situation, but haven't wanted to find out, so I'm back on the bars right away.

With my next paycheck I'll have the dough for the front tire, so that's gettting done. If what I've got is a wheel balance issue, then my problem will soon be solved.

What else could it be? Steering head bearings feel good to me..that is, if I pull the bike onto the rear tire while it's on the center stand and move the bars back and forth, I don't feel any deviation in movment. No flat spot or dimple or increased resistance at any portion of the movement from full lock side to side. This doesn't of course mean that the bearings are fine..I could be missing the signal...

The other thought I had was steering damper. I know they have some kind of fluid damper built into the column...perhaps the damper is bad?

Of course, I may have a combinatoin of all of these things going on.

Any thoughts you folks have would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:32 pm
Addict

first bet is the front tire.But shakes can be caused from the rear too, check rear wheel bearing, swingarm bushings,loose spokes in the rear wheel will cause the front to shake like mad,dont think you have a spoked wheel but just using it has an example,check air pressure too.AQn old yammie I had shook like a mad bull, was a cracked frame at the steering head.But if the front tire is getting wore, I'm betting thats it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2007, 5:48 am Thread Starter

Well, I got lucky.

The front end shake vanished with a new tire! I was with the tech who changed the tire when he did it and also learned that the wheel is slightly bent, so I have a bit of an up-and-down egg roll effect, but it's slight. I've noticed that before especially at very slow speeds, but it evens out when at regular speeds and I can live with it.

I also learned that in order to check the steering head bearings on a K75s you have to release the steering damper/fluid lock mechanism by a couple bolts on the stem. Once you've loosened it up, you can check the bearings like any other bike, by balancing the bike onto the rear tire and moving the bars back and forth, feeling for any abnormal movement.

Lucky for me, it was just the tire. It was incidentally a very old tire. I got the bike with very low miles. It had sat for years. The tire was dated 1994. Yikes.

Thanks for your ideas, jimmm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode