K1200R starting issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:06 am Thread Starter

K1200R starting issues

I apologize for making this my first post. I suppose it took mechanical trouble to get me to register:

Yesterday, leaving for work, my bike didn't immediately start up when I pushed the starter button. It fired up on the second try, after double checking the kickstand and pulling in the clutch lever, I chalked it up to operator error, and rode to work. I went out to lunch and the bike had similar issues. I decided that I'd try to get the bike into my local dealer today but this morning the bike completely refused to start. So I removed my gear, got ready to drive the car to work, and for the heck of it, tried to start the bike again. It still didn't want to start... until I decided to put the transmission in neutral. Then it started right up. Starting the bike in first gear with the clutch in and kickstand up has never been an issue for me. Anyone hear about anything similar happening to their K bikes? I decided to leave the bike home this morning. I'll try to get it to my dealer tomorrow. It's still under warranty with only 14,000 miles, but I figured I'd post up the trouble anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:08 am
JCW
contributor

There's a post regarding start up sequence.

Something about not pulling in the clutch until after the igntion is turned on or something.

It's in the owners manual.

I'm sure someone will have the answer.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Thank you, JCW, for your quick reply.

I've always let the bike's computer go through its pre-flight checks before thumbing the ignition, but have to admit that I may have pulled in the clutch lever during the computer's checks. I'm not sure if that's what I'm doing, but will see if that makes a difference tonight after I get home from work. I know I've sat on the bike, and rolled it out of the garage while the computer's running through its checks, so maybe that's something I've been doing wrong? It hasn't been an issue for me until now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:46 am
JCW
contributor

Oh yeah, another thing is the ring aerial at the ignition switch has a propensity to break, leaving riders stranded.

This is becoming a well known problem and your dealer should be able to replace.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:14 pm
Enthusiast

Michael,

I've experienced this, in my case the clutch was not pulling in far enough to activate the switch and it would not start when in gear. There is a plastic bolt by the clutch lever where it depresses the cylinder. Try adjusting it.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:53 pm

I've had the same thing happen a few times and putting the bike in neutral always helped. It could be the kick-stand safety switch.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. I took the bike into the dealer late in the day yesterday. It was similar getting it started to ride to the dealer, didn't want to start in gear, clicked the transmission into neutral, and it started right up. At the dealer, showing it to the service manager, it did start in gear, but not on the first try. I'm guessing either the starter switch is going bad or the kickstand switch. No big deal. Its under warranty and at the dealer, so I'm sure they'll be able to take care of it.

Thanks for your time. I'll let you know exactly what it was when I know for sure.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

I got a call from the dealer. It wasn't anything major, just the starter switch going bad. The bike's been repaired under warranty and is waiting at the dealer for me to pick it up.

Thanks for looking and thanks to everyone who threw in their 2 cents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode