Changing tires - special adapter? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Changing tires - special adapter?

Looking for verification on something my dealership service guy said to me. It's a long haul to my dealer, and very expensive to boot. It would be nice to have new tires put on at a local motorcycle shop, rather than have to take an entire day off just to get a new tire put on my 2003 K12GT.

BMW service guy tells me they use a "special adapter" and that I should only go to them to get my tires changed. Can anybody tell me how much truth there is to that statement?

Ride safe,
Cheese
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:06 pm
Veteran

Cycle Gear(one coming near you soon) changes my tires('04KRS) all the time. There might be an adaptor needed to balance the rear tire, but that's probably it. And another adaptor for the Gen.2 rear wheels.
Why don't you call your local MC shop and ask them?

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:16 pm
Enthusiast

Anyone who has the capability to mount motorycycle tires can swap tires on a BMW, its the balancing that is 'different'.

An adaptor is used to 'chuck' the rear wheel for balancing, most Jap shops won't have it and probably have no desire to get it.

The front balances like every other front motorcycle wheel/tire.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Thanks MikeK, that helps immensely.

Brucecha, calling a service center closer to home crossed my mind, but if they didn't know about a special adapter, then they might have just said "sure, bring 'er in, we'll do it." That was a risk to my ride I didn't want to take.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2007, 3:00 am
Addict

Read my posts here. It's worth checking out your tire dealer before you use them:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=3666

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2007, 4:11 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
An adaptor is used to 'chuck' the rear wheel for balancing, most Jap shops won't have it and probably have no desire to get it.
The shop in back of the Cycle Gear down the road from here (on Parkmoor in San Jose) can't do the newer K rear wheels with the big hole in the middle, but can handle the older ones. At least that's what the guy that looked to be the head honcho told me.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2007, 5:08 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
The shop in back of the Cycle Gear down the road from here (on Parkmoor in San Jose) can't do the newer K rear wheels with the big hole in the middle, but can handle the older ones. At least that's what the guy that looked to be the head honcho told me.
i had a similar experience. I even tried the yamaha/suzuki shop here in Folsom, ca. brand new facility and they couldn't do it.

Cycle Gear Note: those guys are morons. they mounted my buddies tires backwards on the rims. plus they won't dismount the tires off of the bike. they said to bring my tire down and they would do it right away. I ended up dropping it off and had to pick it up the next day, because they said they couldn't get it done. It took them three hours to mount my tire backwards and i had to take it back to have it redone after they told me they could balance them and i dropped them off. they said they looked at a picture on the internet to figure out which way the tire went. They looked at an R bike, which has the final drive on the opposite side. I told them that there is an arrow on the tire and rim for their convenience. Stupid me i didn't check it before i left.

They couldn't balance them and luckily A&S BMW in roseville balanced my tire for free twice. excellent customer service. now i go in and get them changed at the dealership. they only charge me around 45-50 dollars to take the wheel off of the bike and change balance and remount. i figure driving back and forth to cycle gear costs me just as much as paying the extra 15 bucks for them to do half as much.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2007, 10:03 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckheinch
they said they looked at a picture on the internet to figure out which way the tire went.

Seems to me that in in the event of uncertainty, a good solution would have been to call you.

What seems kind of weird is that the guys here, even though they're in the rear of a Cycle Gear, say they are independent and not Cycle Gear employees. :think:

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 4:35 pm
Addict

Cal Sport Touring in Hercules, CA. does not have the 400 adapter but can still balance the tires.
They, for lack of a better term, jerry rig the cones on the balancer to support the wheel and balance it as usual on there machine I have had it up to about 120 after they balanced the tire no problem. I know another poster here who has pushed the GT up to its limit on a tire balanced this way with no problem.

Next time I get a tire, I will pay more attention to how they do it.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2007, 8:50 pm
Enthusiast

The S model rear takes a special adapter from Marc Parnes for $45 that I had to get to do them. The 2004 RS/GT rear takes bigger cones than the universal that can be used on the front.
This is for balancing only and the tire change itself is just like the rest.

Real Pretty Blue 09KGT
00 REX 1100
01 REX 1200
08 ZX14 Dark Blue Metallic

93 Supercharged Lytnin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode