'85 K100 won't restart when engine hot - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:30 am Thread Starter
Noob

'85 K100 won't restart when engine hot

Kinda says it all, huh? If the engine is cool it will start. If it is running it will stay running. If I shut it off after it has been run up to normal operating temp I have to wait 15 minutes before it will restart. It cranks fine, the electricals seem normal, and the fuel pump seems to be doing it thing, but no vroom. If I had to guess, and it were a car with a carb, I'd say it was flooded. Any ideas???????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:05 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian
Kinda says it all, huh? If the engine is cool it will start. If it is running it will stay running. If I shut it off after it has been run up to normal operating temp I have to wait 15 minutes before it will restart. It cranks fine, the electricals seem normal, and the fuel pump seems to be doing it thing, but no vroom. If I had to guess, and it were a car with a carb, I'd say it was flooded. Any ideas???????
Here's 3 cheap and easy things to try first.

1) Try running it with the Hall sensor cover removed, to cool the sensor. Hot Hall sensors are known to fail.

2) Check the engine compression. I have no idea about the mileage or condition, but it is 23yrs. old. When checking the compression. Do it when hot. Also install all the plugs back into the plug wires and lay the plugs on the engine case to ground them. The ignition system does not like to be operated without a path to ground for the high voltage discharge when cranking the engine to check the compression.

3) Check the resistance of the spark plug wires while you are in there. They should be around 7,000ohms.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Oct 2nd, 2007 at 1:55 pm.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 1:44 pm

Starting a brick engine K bike and then shutting it off right away will result in your situation, but not starting after its hot is something I haven't encountered. Good luck !

geo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode