clutch cable problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2007, 12:56 am Thread Starter
Noob

clutch cable problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm the owner of a 1984 k100. The clutch cable recently snapped without warning. Initially most of the strands in the cable snapped which left me with a clutch cable operasting on approximately two strands. These two strands eventually snapped.
I purchashed a clutch cable from bmw melbourne but did not purchase a clutch lever which the spare parts manager suggested. After three days, this cable also snapped.
went back to bmw and was informed that this is a common problem with the k100 and it is important that the lever as well as the cable be replaced.
I didn't quite understand the situation, but finally replaced the lever as well as the clutch cable. A bmw technician advised me that the cable was breaking due to an excessive load been placed on the cable. Sounded legit to me but if that was the case, surely I would have felt it at the lever. He suggested a problem wth the clutch mechanism which could end up costing me thousands of dollars!! In desperation, I replaced the lever and the cable and have had no problems.
Does anyone else have similar experiences with the clutch cable. In hindsight, I do remember there was a lot of freeplay in the clutch lever which could have caused the cable to rub against the clutch lever housing causing it to break. The break wass always at the nipple (lever) end of the cable.

regards
gabriel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2007, 3:22 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel
i'm the owner of a 1984 k100. The clutch cable recently snapped without warning. Initially most of the strands in the cable snapped which left me with a clutch cable operasting on approximately two strands. These two strands eventually snapped.
I purchashed a clutch cable from bmw melbourne but did not purchase a clutch lever which the spare parts manager suggested. After three days, this cable also snapped.
went back to bmw and was informed that this is a common problem with the k100 and it is important that the lever as well as the cable be replaced.
I didn't quite understand the situation, but finally replaced the lever as well as the clutch cable. A bmw technician advised me that the cable was breaking due to an excessive load been placed on the cable. Sounded legit to me but if that was the case, surely I would have felt it at the lever. He suggested a problem wth the clutch mechanism which could end up costing me thousands of dollars!! In desperation, I replaced the lever and the cable and have had no problems.
Does anyone else have similar experiences with the clutch cable. In hindsight, I do remember there was a lot of freeplay in the clutch lever which could have caused the cable to rub against the clutch lever housing causing it to break. The break wass always at the nipple (lever) end of the cable.

regards
gabriel
I don't have your bike model but I've had plenty of bikes with cable clutches.

The first thing is to make sure the nipple can actually rotate freely in the lever. If it jams then the wire is twisted back and forth at the nipple and then breaks. Next check the adjustment. If there is a lot of free play, the wire will be moving through a larger arc at the lever. Having just sufficient so the clutch can be operated over less distance is better. Take off any tiedowns along the length of the clutch cable, operate the lever and find the natural position it wants to run with soft gentle curves not sharp bends. Reducing friction reduces wear at the lever. Finally, if you can release the clutch and shift with a shorter pull then do it. My later K bike has an adjustment to bring the lever nearer to the grip, which forces you to use short grabs of the clutch if the shift is still smooth.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode