Winterizing Tips - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 3:56 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Red face Winterizing Tips

TANK RUST: I used to have a K, but actually learned this the hard way on an R100 GS: BMW tanks rust! I couldn't ride for a couple of years, left the tank mostly empty, and stored the bike outside under a raincover. (That's three (3) mistakes!) The tank was a mess inside. I bought cleanout / re-coating stuff at the dealer, which seems to have worked. Had to pull the tank, fill with hardware, shake all rust out, buy corks for the orifices, degrease, degrease, degrease, then re-coat. Moral of the story: fill the tank with gas and put in fuel stabilizer to minimize rust during the winter. Store bike inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2005, 4:30 pm

Good generic advice! Always fill the tank to minimize condensation and adding a stabilizer is good common sense.

I do this with my boat every year. Even though it has a plastic gas tank (as does the K1200RS/GT) you should still fill the tank to keep the moisture out of the gas.

Randy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Addict

K1200's have ABS plastic tanks so shouldn't be probs there. Main prob. I guess is electrics and battery. I don't lay up my K completely, just ride a bit less and on good days. A tender you can leave on permanently between infrequent rides keeps the battery charge up and a bit of extra warmth under the seat and around the BMW relays and black boxes hasn't done mine any harm yet. Since K's use quite a bit of fuel in a small tank, I can still use 1/2 tank every 3-4 weeks in Winter. Sometimes, draining fuel and drying out pump and tank seal parts can make for more problems, so I always leave fuel in and even run the motor occasionally on the stand 'till the fans cut in (must be 1-2 litres!).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 8:40 pm

Stabil in the fuel if it sits for more than 2 weeks, battery tender always, fresh oil if it sits for longer periods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode