Air filters - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Air filters

Just found this reading other forums. Intersting read. So much for "oiled filters".

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

2007 K1200S Cosmic blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:47 pm
JCW
contributor

Seen it before. But thanks for the link.

Question is, is it of any significance?

Except to say, save your money.

And you can't even say that because of the re-usable nature of the foam and cotton filters...

Wonder why airplanes all use foam filters? Moisture issues?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2008, 2:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Those Lycomings are rugged, and besides there are icing issues. But todays Cessna s use paper elemaent also. They come from the factory that way.

2007 K1200S Cosmic blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2008, 4:17 am
Addict

You can find lots of articles, threads and tests on air filters.

I ran a new K&N oiled filter for 10K then stripped the motor down. What I found on the throttle butterflies and inlet tracts was a brown sticky mess with foreign debris stuck to it.

Putting aside the lab testing, if the filter was that good, why were my butterflies and air jets plugged up with sticky oil from the filter and why did it let through stuff it should have stopped?

I suspect the problem with paper filters in airplanes is when they are new they are the best at stopping particles, but they can clog quicker and moisture changes could shrink the paper too. Foam and oiled filters may let through more but won't clog so easily. Anyway, is dust a big problem a few thousand feet up, compared to a motor vehicle on a dirt track? Most of the small airplanes I see look as if they've never been near anything dirty.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Feb 17th, 2008 at 4:25 am.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2008, 4:38 am
Veteran

are you sure that it wasn't motor oil on the valves? i believe that it is normal to have some oil in your airbox and butterfly valves.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:57 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckheinch
are you sure that it wasn't motor oil on the valves? i believe that it is normal to have some oil in your airbox and butterfly valves.
Definitely not! K&N filter oil is distinctly brown and viscous sticky like chainsaw oil, with a unique smell.

I also found my breather hose had been split a while, there wasn't much in there from the engine breather and all valves/compressions were OK. If you dunk a re-useable filter in oil, then put it in the air way of a 1200cc motor with a 3" square snorkel inlet, it doesn't surprise me that filter oil can get sucked into the inlet stubs. It's just that most would fit the filter and rarely strip off the airbox and stubs after 10K to find out what's going on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2008, 1:43 pm
"DELIVERS"

K&N filter oil is red, not brown. Most people put too much on the filter...takes very little to be effective.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2008, 1:10 am
Veteran

ditto it is red. i have never burnt the oil to see what it smells like after... now that i think about it, i haven't smelled it before. maybe i'll give it a try in the home service dept. just good to have the knowledge.

i have 11500 and i was just about to take the airbox off and modify the stepper motor. maybe i'll take a look.

06 K1200R,76 Yamaha RD400 VOID 7/08 ,03 Kawi ZX-6R VOID 10/10/06, 94 Suzuki GSXR-750 VOID, 85 Yamaha FJ1100 VOID
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 5:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1
Just found this reading other forums. Intersting read. So much for "oiled filters".

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Unfortunately, if you read the article you will find that these filters were filters used for diesel trucks which will probably never exceed 65 mph. We ride bikes that can exceed 175mph. I think it would be more relevant if the test was performed on filters designed for the K1200S or at very least, motorbikes.

The findings are interesting, but there are many other causal factors and we don't know the true motivation of the tester either, the sample size or whether the test rigs were calibrated correctly. I'm not saying that these tests and the verdict was wrong, only was it conducted in a scientifc way, and what is its relevance to high performance motorcycles.

Personally, I still use the BMW filter as fitted at service. My bike has just had the 24000 mile service and had its valves adjusted. It is flying even more now, and it's far more fuel efficient too. However, all of that could be to do with the new map that was uploaded. It's difficult to determine what the causal factor is, when there are so many variables.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2008, 11:17 am

Oiled filters; Unfortunatly many of the oiled filters come "over" oiled. I've seen dyno guys hose them out and re-oil them prior to use. I just take compressed air and remove the excess, being careful not to damage the gauze. Sometimes cleaning and re-oiling is the best option. Case in point, I put a K&N in a 93 Dodge Caravan, it ran very poorly and lost 2-3 MPG from stock. Cleaned and re-oiled, and it went up 1.5-2 MPG from stock. I just installed a K&N in my 2007 K1200GT, and the amount of excess oil was a bit amazing. The same was true for my 2 Guzzi's. I guess they figure the excess will get sucked in and removed that way. I'd rather not have it go down that way. For what it's worth, as noted in other posts, the amount of debris at the stock filter was a bit scary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode