'98 K12RS forks leaking-what's that about? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 8:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

'98 K12RS forks leaking-what's that about?

I have the fairings off my (new to me with 10k miles) '98 K12RS to add some PIAA lights and other safety stuff and have noticed a small oil puddle under the rear of the front fender. It looks like the forks are oozing oil at the top and it is running down to the floor in my garage. I've only ever had Jap bikes and have never gotten into suspension of any kind. Is this common? It is a serious sign of imminent danger or should I wipe it up and pretend it never happened? Does it need to be replaced or fixed? What are my options for fixing it? Thanks in advance for all your insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 8:50 am

Blown fork seal....needs attention soon...or it could get onto the brake calipers and impede your braking capacity.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 9:04 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHausLittleFalsy
Blown fork seal....needs attention soon...or it could get onto the brake calipers and impede your braking capacity.
OK - you have my attention! New forks or seals? Is it best done at the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 9:14 am

Just new seals...you may decide to have both seals replaced at the same time. Someone else can advise you on whether or not it's a do-it-yourself job. I have run into this problem before with another bike...and did the job myself...but it was not nearly as sophisticated as this bike...or as heavy...elevating the front end is an issue for most.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

I appreciate it. I will start checking around with some mechanics and see what is involved with the jacking process. I could probably remove the forks but I doubt I would want to service them because it might take special tools, spring retainers, etc.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:21 am

If you can manage removing the forks...then the rest is easy. Special tools.? Once the forks are removed...you can disassemble them by removing the retaining clip which holds the seal in place. This may require a special tool...or you may be able to use a pick. Once the seal is out...pull them apart and cleam meticulously with contact cleaner. Then reverse the process. Good luck. This job has an intermediate degree of difficulty.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 7:05 pm
Addict

fork seals are easy, if you dont change the oil its under 30 minutes. Oil change requires removing front wheel,wait till you need a new tire,wont be long trust me, and change oil then.First year seals were a problem, had a couple new versions to replace them.My 98 leaked also and 20 minutes later I had seals in.Two different types of forks were used in 98,you need to pop a seal out and make sure you get the right ones.Mine had Showa forks,the other was an Italian fork I think, different seals.hardest thing was finding the hidden screw under the top triple tree that holds the handle bars on. http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ght=fork+seals http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ght=fork+seals http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ght=fork+seals http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ght=fork+seals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode