troubles: no power, charger not doing much - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 1:56 am Thread Starter

troubles: no power, charger not doing much

Hi All,

I've been riding my step-father's '91 k1100ls for the last month or so... he's moved to a new home that as yet doesn't have a warm comfy place for the bike, so I've been bike-sitting.

Today I took the bike to work. I was late, and parked quickly and ran inside... and I think that I left the ignition slightly on (with the heated grips on, to boot). Needless to say, 9 or so ours later I returned to a very dead bike.

I put the bike on a trickle charger this evening, but it didn't seem to engage (though the 'on' light was on, the 'charge' light didn't engage). In perusing the interweb, I've seen a post or two that say that sometimes these chargers will not engage if the battery has no charge. Can anybody confirm this? And if so, is there anything I can do to work around this?

I've also noticed that the ABS lights go a bit wacko at start... and have seen a post or two that attribute this to a end-of-life battery. Is it possible that the trickle charger isn't engaging because the battery is toast?

Any advice or comments would be great.

thanks, appo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 3:57 am
Addict

Some of the new (read more expensive) trickle chargers are 'intelligent' to the point where they can decide a totally flat battery is a faulty battery and sit there not doing anything.

Some 'trickle' chargers have a very low charging rate and when they see a flat battery that would need more current to start, then taper off, they either think there's a short circuit on them or their current is so low anyway that you would wait days for any charge to get in.

Your step father probably has one of those simple low tech chargers that stand a better chance of working.

I wouldn't recommend 'jump starting' a bike, but your bike's simple charging system would stand a better chance of bringing your battery out of its dead state to accept a trickle charge so here's a modified 'safer method' (for your bike that is). I assume you won't want to try push starting a heavy bike:

During daytime (heated grips off, no lights). Lift one terminal off your car battery or borrow a charged battery. Using a pair of jump wires, connect your car battery to the bike battery with CORRECT POLARITY. Start the bike, carefully remove the jump start lead from the bike (without shorting!). Let the bike run for 10-15 minutes then ride it local without stopping or cranking the motor. Have a buddy standing by with cell, truck and jump leads in case you stall!

When you get back don't crank the bike, put it on the trickle charger.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 8:06 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by appositive
Hi All,

I've been riding my step-father's '91 k1100ls for the last month or so... he's moved to a new home that as yet doesn't have a warm comfy place for the bike, so I've been bike-sitting.

Today I took the bike to work. I was late, and parked quickly and ran inside... and I think that I left the ignition slightly on (with the heated grips on, to boot). Needless to say, 9 or so ours later I returned to a very dead bike.

I put the bike on a trickle charger this evening, but it didn't seem to engage (though the 'on' light was on, the 'charge' light didn't engage). In perusing the interweb, I've seen a post or two that say that sometimes these chargers will not engage if the battery has no charge. Can anybody confirm this? And if so, is there anything I can do to work around this?

I've also noticed that the ABS lights go a bit wacko at start... and have seen a post or two that attribute this to a end-of-life battery. Is it possible that the trickle charger isn't engaging because the battery is toast?

Any advice or comments would be great.

thanks, appo
Well, things to ask-how old is the battery, was that last trip short-not enuf time to fully charge up an old battery and 9 hours would kill even a good battery with the ign left on. So in as few words as possible-time for a new battery. I wouldn't bother with the old one-too much effort and probable end result-new battery.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2008, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks pmorritt and voxmagna for your responses.

Today I trailered the bike home and put the trickle charger on the battery. My hope is that I did somehow leave the ignition on enough that the lights/grips/etc was on while the bike was parked (though I did take the keys out, but this seems to be possible on this vintage k bike from other posts here and elsewhere). In that case, the battery should be dead flat. My trickle charger might not be engaging because of the dead flat battery... but it still should be pushing a bit of charge. So I'll let it do it's thing for 24 hours, and see what happens.

Next step might be to change all the fuses. So far as I can tell, they look ok, but had a frustrating experience once with a fuse in my car that looked good, but wasn't...

If this works, I'll report on the forum here. If it doesn't, I'll report that too... and in the latter case, I'll be open to suggestions on what to do next!

thanks,
appo
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2008, 9:10 am
Addict

Quote:
...................My hope is that I did somehow leave the ignition on enough that the lights/grips/etc was on while the bike was parked (though I did take the keys out, but this seems to be possible on this vintage k bike from other posts here and elsewhere)..........
It's just the same on modern K bikes. The first position on the ignition switch (and you can remove the key) is the parking light. I keep meaning to modify mine, but for now I just get in the habit of turning the key fully clock and the steering lock engages, then clock one click and remove key.

When I see films of those old Beemers used in the wars, I wonder if any failed on their critical missions because they'd left the lights on. Although thinking a bit more, they were probably magneto ignition with kick starts. Oh how things have changed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode