Tech help required on alternator area - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 1:37 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Tech help required on alternator area

I am posting this for a riding pal who has no computer access. He has a 03 GT. Bad noise on start up.....no charge to battery. Strips bike down which requires lifting the frame from the motor etcetera. He suspects the alternator has died. When he get down to the nitty gritty area he finds alternator spins easy. The driving dog which connects alt. to motor with rubber bushing is the trouble. The driving dog has splines inside which have stripped. Goes down to the friendly wrecker to get a used replacement. Notes that the part (driving dog) has been bolted down and lock tighted. Thinks.....??When I took my driving dog off did not note any bolt..

I have inspected the driving dog and pointed out.

1. Surface rust. Why is it there.

2. Missing bolt from dog. Wear indicates something was there??

Has any one been here before with this problem. I have searched the site, no other posts about this one. He does not want to put the whole thing back without out knowing the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:24 am
Will ride for picts

As I understand it, the alternator "driving dog" is connected with rivets to a gear inside the engine. This gear is situated between the crank and output shaft. On early K engines (K100 era, I believe), the rivets have been known to fail, so BMW upgraded this part with more rivets. I'm guessing that the rivets have failed on the driving dog / alternator gear.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 3:27 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

rivets

Thanks for the input. I will take a pic today. As I saw it , the dog fits onto the male drive spline from the motor, ;and a bolt holds the dog to the said spline. His he feels, was manufactured without the bolt being fitted.. Its Sunday morning here, will post a pic later. I dont want this to happen to me, and I would like to know what caused the problem. No point just bolting new parts back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 7:16 pm
Addict

All I remember is those pesky rubber bits which were a pain to assemble and stop falling out when I put it back (Sellotape the answer).

Presumably, the rubber drive coupling pieces got chewed up first and then the metal dog coupling was running metal to metal and the normal K 'whine' was something different?

It does run rather fast at over 10Krpm+

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 9:08 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna

Presumably, the rubber drive coupling pieces got chewed up first and then the metal dog coupling was running metal to metal and the normal K 'whine' was something different?

This reminds me, if the rivets were failing you should have heard a loud knocking sound at idle, before it failed. The bike will sound like a diesel engine ... knock, knock, knock ... at about two knocks / second at idle. This knocking sound could also be worn rubber "bits" or a worn shim that is installed on the alternator gear to deal with the gear lash between the crank, alternator, and output shaft gears.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:00 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

pics

I posted a reply with pics on the RS/GT site. No more tech advice needed. Just some $'s and help from BMW. Which I suspect he will not get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode