Air Cleaner - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2005, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Air Cleaner

What does it take to change the Air Filter?

Where the heck is it?

2000KRS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2005, 5:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000KRS

Where the heck is it?

2000KRS
Remove tupperware. See gunsmoke.com
Remove fuel cell. Ditto
Flat horizontal panel about 3" x 9" held on with 2 screws.

It's not that hard but my bike has quick disconnects on the fuel line, yours does not, I believe so it will be a bit more work.

Good luck.

Mark
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2005, 8:53 pm

Tank does not have to be disconnected or totally removed - it can just be unfastened and lifted up for clearance.

Then again, you'll often be doing the fuel filter at the same time.

Here's K RAPIDO at 24,000 miles:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-046S.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	698  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 4:47 am
Addict

Exclamation

Be careful lifting the tank and propping it up with fuel in and with the top tupperware strip still fitted. The tank's an unstable shape until it's fitted. Mine fell off and needed new tupperware strip (ouch!). Seriously consider quick disconnects, as tank removal is needed for a few operations and they make adding new wiring a lot easier.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 5:51 am
Enthusiast

Anybody have a good pic of exactly where the quick disconnects are and what electrical connections have to be undone to lift the tank completely off?
Thanks,
Lenny
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 8:19 am

Seth and Lenny,

I don't have a picture handy, but, ALL of the items that need to be disconnected are on the RIGHT side of the tank. You do not need to remove the plastic strip that is on-top of the gas tank. You ONLY need to remove the screw near the ignition switch and the two large back bolts. These bolts have a metal spacer and a rubber bushing so don't loose them. The large, inaccessible front bolts do not need to be touched since the tank simply slides/hooks over their rubber bushings. Having a near empty tank and another person to hold the tank up while you change the air filter makes it easy.

Here is a recap of the connections. Before proceeding, pay attention to the routing of the electrical wires and vent hoses.

FUEL LINES - On newer models there are two disconnects one on-top of the other. They are black plastic and very obvious down at the lower right edge of the tank. They are "keyed" so you can't put them on wrong (on the tank side, one is a male and the other is a female fitting). These are very fragile so do not bend or twist or you will get a leak down the road and be stranded!! You might want to consider ordering the metal replacements that member dkevin posted about on this thread. It includes some nice close-up pictures near the bottom of page 2.

ELECTRICAL - There is a wire running to the top of the tank that is the fuel gauge sending unit. It is very obvious and is a white connector IIRC.

The fuel pump wiring is harder to see and kind of behind the disconnects. There should be some slack to allow access. It is a black connector IIRC.

VENT HOSES - These don't need to be disconnected IF you are simply lifting the tank up to access the air filter. IF you do take them off label their correct positions since they all are the same size and will reach each others connection points. IF you do screw up and don't know what goes to where, others have successfully blown air through them to determine where they go. These hoses are known for creating idling and stalling problems if connected wrong, crimped or if they fall off, so don't stress them and always check them before putting it all back together!

Hope this helps save some time.

Randy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2005, 8:24 am

Lenny,

Let me suggest investing in a service manual of some form before you get too deep into owner-performed maintenance.

If this is a one-time thing, email me and I'll see about getting you an appropriate scan (I hesitate to just post it due to copyright issues and past hassles from BMW about service manuals online.)

That said, this is where you'll find the quick-releases:

(my 1999 doesn't have quick-releases. I don't find it a big deal since the tank comes off so rarely.)

FWIW, this is how I rode K RAPIDO into the dealer for the valve clearance check and Motronic check at 24,000 miles (with seat, of course)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quick-releases.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	700  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:19 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000KRS

Where the heck is it?

2000KRS
You've had the the answers!...go do it ...cos it don't half make a difference!!
Just changed mine...and you can hear and feel a very happy engine
2001 k1200rs 41000k
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode