No electrical power... Battery?! Help! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 1:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

No electrical power... Battery?! Help!

I just picked my bike up last weekend. Still breaking it in. Came home, parked and locked the bike, went in the house (did not arm the alarm) came back to my bike 2 hours later & no power, nothing lights up with the key on etc. Am I missing something?!? I'm scratching my head going 'What the heck?!'
I'm supposed to be heading out on a ride tomorrow. Now I don't know what to do. SURELY it couldn't be a bad battery?! Though I see others having battery issues.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 5:26 am
Addict

It doesn't speak well of your battery, but to be fair the dealer probably only gave it a quick charge.

You probably fell into the trap deliberately put there by the German Engineers who like to give new BMW customers a short lesson in 'Brand Migration' There are other things you will come across in time.

When you parked up and took the key out of the ignition, you probably turned the key fully anti-clockwise. This is a 'Beemer' and not some 'other' motorcycle, so you must re-learn everything that may have been intuitive on every other vehicle you ever owned:

The fully anti-clockwise ignition setting is for the parking light. Get into the Beemer habit of turning the key fully anti-clockwise, then one click clockwise before taking it out.

If this isn't your problem then you have to start measuring what's taking the battery current when the ignition is properly off (alarms or aftermarket accessories most likely).

DON'T re-charge the battery in the bike unless you've disconnected the ground lead first.

Welcome to the Forum, you'll be up and riding soon.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 9:37 am
Veteran

I am assuming we are talking about a '07 or '08, correct? What model are we talking about?

Like Vox said, you might have accidentally left the parking lights on. At least the older "K" bikes ignition switch operated parking light at full anti-clockwise.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2008, 10:17 am Thread Starter
Noob

Well, the battery is fine, I did a load test as well & it appears ok.
When I connect the lead the dash comes on for 2 seconds then goes out. Nothing happens in any key position at all.
The dealer is sending me another battery just to double-check.
Apparently there are no main fuses that would go, & even if it were an alarm or immobiliser fault everything else would still come on.

Oh & yes Brucecha, this is a 2008 model.

Last edited by ratracer; May 16th, 2008 at 11:29 am.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2008, 12:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Just in case anyone else runs into this:
Traced back to a troublesome connector at the ignition switch. On closer examination, one of the pins had come out of the connector just enough. Like it had not 'clicked' into place all the way. What a pain!!

Kris Duncan
2008 BMW K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode