Smokey k1200RS motor - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 12:59 am Thread Starter

Smokey k1200RS motor

I have the 2000 model K1200RS sitting on 130,000 kilometers that suddenly started to blow blue smoke full time (running like a diesel motor) and not just at start up - I have owned the bike since new and needless to say has always been maintained and cared for with no expense spared- the bike is running as well as ever and no apparent issues with performance - I suspect the valve stem seals?? - has anyone else experienced this issue? - Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 4:30 am
Addict

It's a very common characteristic ( I didn't say 'problem'), for K-bricks to smoke at startup when parked for long periods on the sidestand. The oil in the sump slopps over to the cyl. head bores and valve area. Most people just ignore the startup smoke.

The last time I was under the valve cover I couldn't remember if they used 'umbrella' valve stem seals or if it's possible with their bucket shim design. My old KAWA had conventional valve gear and I stopped all the start up smoke just by fitting these from an old car gasket set.

If your bike wasn't parked on the sidestand, then perhaps valve guide leakpast could be the issue. If your plugs are clean and you aren't burning oil then it just sounds like the common startup characteristic of many (but not all) K-bikes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2008, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Smokey K1200RS

voxmagna, experienced the smoke at start up on occassions when on the side stand and lived with this although the bike is smoking full on non stop when going for a punt and we are talking about unaceptable polluting the atmosphere and destroying the environment type smoke :-(. No issues with performance and as with all K's pulls like a train! I'm onto the job tomorrow and first up I will inspect the valve stem seals for damage and if no apprent damage here then I'll take the head off and inspect the cylinder bores - thanks for your feedback and I'll keep the forum posted on my findings - Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 5:41 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrardr
voxmagna, experienced the smoke at start up on occassions when on the side stand and lived with this although the bike is smoking full on non stop when going for a punt and we are talking about unaceptable polluting the atmosphere and destroying the environment type smoke :-(. No issues with performance and as with all K's pulls like a train! I'm onto the job tomorrow and first up I will inspect the valve stem seals for damage and if no apprent damage here then I'll take the head off and inspect the cylinder bores - thanks for your feedback and I'll keep the forum posted on my findings - Rob
...dont mean to sound like your stupid...and i have caught myself close to doing the dirty deed....but by any chance did you fill up at a pump that had a diesel nozzle next to the gas?.......I have 180 gal of mixed fule at work that was mistaken for gas.....that people would fill up with diesel instead of gas.....and if its mixed can sometimes be hard to smell the diesel.....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 6:31 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
...but by any chance did you fill up at a pump that had a diesel nozzle next to the gas?.....
I don't think it'd run at even 50% diesel.

Sounds like an oil ring break. Any odd noises?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 8:09 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrardr
Don't forget, these engines have Nikasil-coated bores. The most you can due without breaking the bank is re-ring the engine and put it back together.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2008, 8:44 pm
Veteran

Dont know how many tanks of fuel you have filled sense the prob started....but if you havent fueled up sense..I would try another tank of gas.....or first you should do a compression test....look at your plugs to see if its a single cyl prob or an over all problem (all 4 cyl)....do a leak down test...get all that out of the way before going into the motor...Im guessing you havent run it much from the time this started ...cause you havent mention anything about adding oil......or lack of.....do the simple test first...but just pulling the plugs will tell you alot..takes 30 min...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Smoken K1200rs

Here is the update (and love the feedback with the diesel fuel so good to see that you are thinking about this) the blue smoke settled down to white smoke and foul smelling from the exhaust. The exhaust is extremely wet as well as the four spark plugs. which indicates that the injection is dumping a heap of fuel into the cylinders. The bike is running very well although only ridden for a test. Next step is looking at the fuel regulator - Rob
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:16 pm
Looking for better limits...

I hope it's fuel, and you're dealing with black smoke. If it's white smoke, wet, and could possibly be coolant, that's bad. Nikaseal doesn't do well when exposed to coolant (not water, but the coolant used with the water in the cooling system). I don't know what to describe as a smell if coolant is being introduced to the combustion chamber.
It also sounds like a head gasket failure.

Black smoke - Fuel
White smoke - water/coolant
Grey smoke - Oil

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2008, 4:27 am
Addict

Sorry I misread your post jerrardr, you did say it smokes all the time. Ray is right about the smoke colors, but you need something else to pin it down because a motor teardown is such a big job.

If you had a coolant/cyl head leak I'd have expected the reservoir to be overflowing from pressure build up, strange things happening with the temperature guage or oil traces floating in the reservoir.

How does your engine oil look when it's drained? It can look lighter and emulsified if water gets in e.g from the oil pump/water pump seals.

Have you ridden the bike hard or soft in the last 6 months? Oil control rings can get gummed up so a good dose of your Techron stuff and a good long high speed thrash can remove a lot. If you have this amount of contamination coming through your muffler, your O2 sensor may now be contaminated - but that shouldn't cause smoking.

Do some basic compression checks on the motor. It might show up something (bad). It's also possible to have the cooling system pressure tested too. Start off with fresh clean oil and coolant and gas so you can tell if anything changes. Are your fluid levels staying the same? I used to read reports about K-motors using oil. Mine never has. There are various levels to diagnosis, so start with the least invasive (i.e hassle). Remove the spark plugs one at a time and see if they are all the same color and what is it. If you are supicious about one cylinder, remove the exhaust system and header to have a good look across each port. Remove the airbox and check if the throttle bodies are all clean and there's no oil blow back, check the engine breather pipe when the motor is running for excessive blow back. If evidence starts pointing to one cylinder being different or all burning oil, then onward you go.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode