coolant in oil - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Unhappy coolant in oil

I am owner of a1986 k100rt with 34,000 + miles. I am getting suspicious over whether radiator coolant is showing up in the oil, or is it just condensation. At the start of the season, i noticed that the oil level was higher than when i last checked it ( 3/4 site glass ), it had risen to 7/8. I backed out the drain plug to remove what i thought was excessive amount of oil. what i found was approx. 20mil of a clear liquid before actual oil started to drain. At same time, i discovered that my radiator overflow tank was low. so i filled it with appropriate amount coolant. After another 200+ mile ride, i happened to notice sploshes and other unusual variations within the bullseye sight glass, plus had to put a small amount coolant into the coolant overflow tank. I did check to see if oil was floating on top within the overflow tank, but did not detect any. I not shure if its the oil/water pump seals, a head gasket/water jacket, or is it really just condensation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:39 am
Veteran

On my '85 KRT, I got condensation in the oil(milky oil in the sight glass) when on a bunch of very short(couple miles) runs while visiting coastal Oregon. This cleared after a 500 mi. ride toward home.

Have you looked here?http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jul 6th, 2008 at 9:46 am.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:51 am Thread Starter

thanks, once i go down a path of doubt, i have to deal with it. I think your right about the water/oil pump. but why do i not see oil within the coolant over flow tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 12:01 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1
thanks, once i go down a path of doubt, i have to deal with it. I think your right about the water/oil pump. but why do i not see oil within the coolant over flow tank?
You could try and just change the oil and filter to start fresh. Also the radiator caps on the K-bikes are known to fail. If the cap washer look old and warn/cracked, you can just buy new washers for it.

I can't give you an answer about no oil in the coolant tank.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 12:36 pm

2 valve K bikes rarely lose a head gasket's seal. This I have been told by those that know.
That said, generally coolent in the oil is a blown head gasket.
Kinda tough to get to the radiator cap but AutoZone (and others) can test the coolent for combustion gases.

I have a very slight amount of oil in the coolent and must rebuild the w/p very soon.
The w/p does spot water when parked over-night.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

I have an update! checking the coolant overflow tank again today, I have infact, found oil on top of coolant liquid!! Hearing that a blown head gasket is somewhat rare, plus having no loss in power, points to the water/oil pump. I'm happy that i was picking up the visual symptoms early on rather than not!! ONCE AGAIN, THANKS FOR EVERYONE,S INPUT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 8:16 pm

The w/p has a weep hole. Is it open/clear? A thin paper clip can be straightened out and inserted into the hole, clearing it. If this hole is blocked/plugged, water or oil can contaminate eachother.

My parts bill for overhauling the w/p came to $137, $97 of that for a new shaft.
Tutorials can be found here...http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml as stated earlyer in this thread.
At '91 the shaft/gear assy. was up-dated. You most likely have the early one but a prior owner might have up-dated it.

I was cautioned, by one who knows, to press the w/p seal in because sometimes hammering it home can crack the carbon seal. Do not touch the seal's surface with oily fingers. Oil must be drained before pulling the water/oil pump assy.

I have yet to do mine but will be doing it this week. The cooling system will be flushed before pulling the w/p.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:58 am
Addict

I can only speak for the KRS, but if your model has a similar combined water pump and oil pump assembly I'd be looking at the gaskets, seals and O rings which keep the water and oil apart in the combined assembly. Fortunately, with radiators removed and the front wheel out it's not too difficult to get at although from memory there's some clean work and rtv gasket to be used.

The only real scientific way to test for leaks like this is to have some of the water system drained and then pressurised with air to about 15psi and see how long the pressure holds. Also rotate the motor on the starter a few seconds whilst watching the pressure guage. If it drops like a stone it's probably the water/oil pump sealing. When pressure drops in the cooling system the water will boil sooner and that will cause air locks and coolant to puke from the reservoir.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode