Bad Mileage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Bad Mileage

I've been getting terrible gas mileage, about 32 mpg.

I've checked the sparkplugs, all of my cylinders appear to be firing, I've run injector cleaner, and I reset the throttle sensor... I haven't noticed a difference in performance and don't have any trouble riding fast.

What should I look at next? Is this a common problem for any of you guys?

Thanks,

Diek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:20 am
Throttle Jockey

How many miles do you have on your bike? When I first got mine, the mileage you sate was around what I was getting. As the motor was run in, the mileage increased and I now get around 40 mpg. I couldn't believe some guys were getting 40 mpg and better when my bike was new. Now I believe them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:26 am
Addict

Wink

That could be normal but always depends on how you ride, also lower mpg during cold weather starts. Range is about 150 - 160 miles per tank to low fuel warning. Some say they can get 180 miles, but I've never got that.

What mpg were you expecting from a 1200cc 135 Bhp heavy German machine with a 155mph top speed?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Nov 23rd, 2005 at 11:28 am. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:00 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
That could be normal but always depends on how you ride, also lower mpg during cold weather starts. Range is about 150 - 160 miles per tank to low fuel warning. Some say they can get 180 miles, but I've never got that.

What mpg were you expecting from a 1200cc 135 Bhp heavy German machine with a 155mph top speed?
I have the secret...and it gets me an average of 42MPG (U.S.). Ride with the local H.O.G (Harley Owners Group) on one of their group rides. Consistantly, 42MPG.

Now, usually you have to ride closer to the rear of the pack, but that's to be expected.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 1:57 pm
Veteran

Bad Milage

Another factor that should be considered in attaining reasonable gas milage is the type of gas that your putting in your bike. What I mean by that is it (High octane) being mixed with ethanol(10% and sometimes greater). Most States require that an Ethanol blend is labeled on the pump..but some do not. With a mixed blend you will NOT achieve the milage that is expected of these bikes nor any other vehicle as a matter of fact. This is from personal experince of driving thousands of miles in the State of South Dakota where corn ethanol was first introduced on a large scale after the gas embargo of the mid 70's..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 2:52 pm
Addict

Razel, that reminds me of the BMW figures achieved by their riders that nobody else seemed to achieve, I gather it must have been a pretty boring ride, probably with the Harley boys.

This corn oil mix worries me as we are going the same way with bio fuels in UK. I don't mind paying less and getting less mpg, but I bet it doesn't work that way. Still with plenty of horses in the K12, it's got some in hand if fuel efficiency drops a bit - just the drop in touring range is the biggest prob.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Closer

Thanks guys, but I do think it's a mechanical thing, I bought the K12 with 25,000 miles on it, and have been getting 40ish mpg until recently (about 43,000 miles), regardless of the way I ride (which is typically aggressive) with or w/o a pillon. It seems strange that the mpg should change so drastically on a middle aged bike. Anybody know about Oxy sensors?

Diek
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 9:28 am
Enthusiast

Where are you geographically located? Winter blend fuels up north will affect your mileage. I live in Virginia and do notice a big difference with the change to winter blend. Also if you are in California your gas sucks, I went from 40mpg to 28 mpg when I fueled up in California, as soon as I filled up about halfway acroos Nevada I went right back to 40mpg.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 11:50 am

some things to check

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediek
Thanks guys, but I do think it's a mechanical thing, I bought the K12 with 25,000 miles on it, and have been getting 40ish mpg until recently (about 43,000 miles), regardless of the way I ride (which is typically aggressive) with or w/o a pillon. It seems strange that the mpg should change so drastically on a middle aged bike. Anybody know about Oxy sensors?

Diek
Diek, do you know if the spark plugs have ever been replaced? Has other routine maintenance (e.g., air filter) been done? Also, check your rear brake to make sure it isn't dragging. And I assume your tire pressures are correct. Sorry about the dumb questions, but I always start with the simple and obvious things.

Another thing to consider, according to some knowledgeable guys here, is to replace the oxygen sensor after 25K miles. I have only 12K miles on my GT, so I haven't done that.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 4:19 pm

Being a 99 with the indicated mileage, replace the spark plugs and put a fresh O2 sensor in before attempting any further diagnosis. They fail much more frequently than many of the old timers care to admit. Scuze me while I duck and take cover

Spilled antifreeze can easily ruin an O2 sensor as can road grime. Contrary to popular myth, the GT1 and Moditec do not seem to detect a rich shifting O2 sensor. Also the cross counts ie, how many times the sensor can detect the mixture swinging from rich to lean over a given period of time can fall below threshold. I will bet the title to my bike that most O2 sensors on our machines are well worth the cost of replacing by 36000 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode