GPS wired to Tail Light - Not working? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:01 am Thread Starter

GPS wired to Tail Light - Not working?

I looked like I knew what I was doing as I wired a two devices to my tail light on my BMW K12GT. The first one was a additional break light to make me more visible to cagers. This one works great. The second one was my Zumo 550.

I found my 3 tail light wires and used my extra break light to test the power in the wires. I found the main power and then the 2nd line that goes on when the breaks are hit. That was the easy one. I test the light with the 3rd wire and found the second common wire that made the light work when the breaks were off. So far it sounds pretty simple. These must be the 2 wire I need to attach my Zumo too. Right?

I proceeded with attaching one Zumo cable wire to each of these two wires. I did not have my Zumo on hand for a test, but I was confident that this must be it. I closed everything up and cleaned up.

Several hours later my wife came home with my Zumo. I proceeded to mount the Zumo in the Cradle and start my bike. No dice. It still only runs from the batter inside the Zumo. Given this I guess a few things could be wrong.

1. Perhaps I have the two Zumo wires backwards?
2. Perhaps this is not enough power? I dont think so.
3. Some other issue that escapes me.

Was I wrong in assuming the hot line was the one wire that was common between my brake light and my tail light?

I would sure apreciate your assistance, before I start pulling wires again.
Thx,
Kregg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 9:39 am
Veteran

Brown is the color of the -or ground wire.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jul 17th, 2008 at 12:27 pm.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:06 pm
Addict

Hope the Zumo has an internal diode to protect it against power line reversal!

If you hang one end of a test lamp on the frame (-VE) , then the wire that lights it is the HOT wire + VE.

When you buy and fit expensive toys on an expensive to fix motorcycle, it's worth buying an inexpensive test meter, which usually comes with red and black test leads for obvious reasons.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:38 pm
Strafist

I don't know what year your GT is, but I wouldn't wire to the brake lights, anyway. Lots of other places to wire to and without a volt meter you could wire to a line that's only hot when you hit the brakes.

On another note, I was hard wiring a GPS to my pickup, wife and daughter starving and wanting me to take them to dinner, so I got in a hurry. I found a good ground with my fluke and soldered to it. It was to the brake pedal and everytime I hit the brakes it killed power to the GPS. What a bitch.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones comments. The dealer is the one who suggested the tail light because it is very easy to get too. I must have them swapped. I will try the ground on the frame test and go from there. I have confirmed that the Zumo is protected from reversal.
Thx,
Kregg
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 1:33 pm
Strafist

Don't use the frame for actually grounding anything. BMW is famous for not having good frame grounds. I always use a brown wire.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:17 am Thread Starter

I just wanted to let everyone know. I swapped the two wires last evening and everything works great!

Thanks for everyones support.
Kregg
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:41 am

Still lots of time to come to canada for the Return to Trenton Rally August 18,19,20 presented by the Looni-tics pm me and I can tell you more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode