Rhinewest Cam Sprockets - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 8:56 am Thread Starter

Rhinewest Cam Sprockets

I installed the Rhinewest cam sprocket/chip kit on my K12rs last week. Fattening the torque curve down between 3500/6500 RPM totally changed the character of the bike. I pulled out to pass a slow moving truck on my first run and it spun up so fast I thought I had left it in second gear!

Side benefit - the 3500/4000 RPM buzz is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 10:20 am

Thumbs up Tell us more

What year is your bike? I understand Rhinewest recommends keeping your stock exhaust, is that right? Any other observations, tips, etc?

Thanks for the info.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 11:38 am Thread Starter

More Rhinewest

The bike is a 99. You are right about the stock exhaust - I found one on line for $100 + shipping.

If you have ever adjusted your valves you will not have any problem with the install. One tip I will offer is to mark the teeth on the spockets and the correponding side link on the timing chain when you have the motor at TDC, BEFORE you take off the factory sprockets. I cleaned the oil off of the face of the sprocket and the side links of the chain and used a permanent marker. Mark the new sprockets at the same spot so that the chain engages the sprocket teeth in the same place.

Plan on spending the whole afternoon in the garage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 2:39 pm

It sounds like you had an aftermarket exhaust on it before. Is that correct?

If so, which one and what is your opinion of the aftermarket exhaust vs. the sprocket kit?

I like the look of the aftermarket exhausts and the weight savings, but not the sound when just running around town (when really getting on it, the throatier the better!). So, I have stuck with the factory for now. Getting the increased performance while keeping it quiet for the neighborhood and cops sounds like a real winner!

Randy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

More Rhinewest

I did not have an "aftermarket" exhaust. I had improved the breathing and reduced the backpressure of the stock exhaust by removing the catalyst. It did not noticably increase the noise.

I already had a Rhinewest chip in the bike and I cannot say that I noticed a big difference with the open exhaust. Since I did not benefit from the reduced weight of an aftermarket exhaust I decided to go on a diet which has been very successful in reducing my overall sprung weight anyway.........

The differnce in performance between the open exhaust with the chip and the sprocket kit, (which comes with a new chip) is remarkable. The sprocket kit wins hands down.

A side note... the engine now has a noticable "growl" that it did not have before.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 7:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

It sounds like the sprocket kit is the ticket!

Randy
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 12:50 pm
Enthusiast

Thanks for your report. The claimed gains look quite dramatic and exactly where I would want, in the low to midrange torque whereas a lot of performance exhaust will often show some loss of low to midrange torque. I surprized we have not had more chatter here about this upgrade.

What exactly do the new sprockets do? Do they subtly change valve timing?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

More Rhinewest

Yes - The Rhinewest sprockets change the valve overlap by slightly shifting the pin that locates the cams on the sprockets.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 2:13 pm
Throttle Jockey

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 6:41 am
Addict

QUESTION: Have you had time to see if your gas mileage is changed with this kit ?

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode