Help!!! Bike dies after running awhile... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Help!!! Bike dies after running awhile...

My apologies if this is a previously discussed problem, but...
I took my K1200GT out recently with the missus, rode about 30 mi., came to a stop sign, and the bike went to zero rpms and died.
It took a couple of restarts to get it going, but required higher self-imposed rpms to keep it alive. This happened about five times.
Took bike to dealer, and the tech replaced the computer's original values with it's starting defaults along with replacing the antenna ring. Well, the problem occured again...

Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:44 pm

I have had the same problem. This is what I have done so far, new air box and update. Still happens. So last weekend I took the air box off and cleaned the thottle bodies, ran a bottle of gum out. So I no long am putting in Circle K gas in it and make the 5 addtional miles to Shell. So far so good. There was alot of carbon build up in the thottle boddies and the idel speed motor and the valves were dirty, so maybe it is fixed. My mileage went up to about 50mpg from 39mpg
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2008, 9:38 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgfatc
My apologies if this is a previously discussed problem, but...
I took my K1200GT out recently with the missus, rode about 30 mi., came to a stop sign, and the bike went to zero rpms and died.
It took a couple of restarts to get it going, but required higher self-imposed rpms to keep it alive. This happened about five times.
Took bike to dealer, and the tech replaced the computer's original values with it's starting defaults along with replacing the antenna ring. Well, the problem occured again...

Does anyone have any ideas?
Did it sputter or just die like a dead stop?...also make sure your tank is venting....no vent and gas wont flow...will restart after the tank gets a little air to flow again...could take a couple min to recover...maybe?..Run with your cap open..see if that resolves the problem...may sound stupid but ride with the missus when you ride again...maybe extra weight could be pinching a vent line....

Last edited by BAK04GT; Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:49 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2008, 3:58 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
...may sound stupid but ride with the missus when you ride again...maybe extra weight could be pinching a vent line....
Sound stupid??? How 'bout "deadly"?

"I don't know, dear. It's fine when I'm riding solo..."

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2008, 4:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Sound stupid??? How 'bout "deadly"?

"I don't know, dear. It's fine when I'm riding solo..."

...I thought the same thing...but said ..what the hell...and the weight thing is another killer...DOH!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2008, 7:44 pm
Enthusiast

What year KGT?

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2008, 11:31 am
Rookie

I have an '07 GT with a stalling problem too. Normally happens when coming to a stop - more likely to happen when stopping in a hurry. From what I have read this seems to be a fairly common problem on all models of K bike and I can't see that there is a common solution.

Mine started stalling after a new airbox was installed to cure the BBS (jerky throttle) issue. I only got the airbox, not the software update that I think is supposed to be done with it.

Since then it's been back to the dealer twice for the stalling thing. First time for 10 days (dealer couldnt reproduce the problem....then it stalled on the way home when I picked it up!)

2nd time it was in for a month, after I demonstrated the symptoms in the dealer forecourt. Try this yourself - while stopped, try to hold the rpm's steady at 2000 for a while, then let go the throttle. The revs on mine dipped below 1000 and sometimes didn't recover to idle.

That time it got a new fuel pump controller and EWS antenna ring on the advice of BMW N.A.

Well that still ain't fixed it, as it stalled on me yesterday. I have to say though, it's better than it was. Prior to going in to the dealer the 2nd time it stalled 10 times in a 25 mile commute. In the rain. In heavy traffic.

I've a feeling that the software upgrade would help, but the dealer don't want to do it because (he says) there is an issue with the latest upgrade which locks up bikes. Yeah, right

Worst of it is, I have an '05 K12S which has started the same shennanigans. I'm rapidly loosing faith in BMW bikes.

Bill.

IBA No.28132
BMW K1200GT (2007)
BMW K1200S (2005)
Ducati 696 Monster (the Wife's)

Last edited by Teuchter; Nov 11th, 2008 at 11:37 am.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2008, 11:40 am
Strafist

OK, here's an off thought brought on by the rain and bike stalling. The charcoal canister, that the EPA requires in the US, has a history of problems on the LT. It will cause stalling due to either the cannister being full of fuel, or the vent hose that exits under the bike being clogged.

The next time your bike stalls pop open the fuel cap. If you hear a whoosh there's a vacuum in the tank caused by the cannister or vent hose.

Mine has been long gone for awhile now.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2008, 11:46 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
OK, here's an off thought brought on by the rain and bike stalling. The charcoal canister, that the EPA requires in the US, has a history of problems on the LT. It will cause stalling due to either the cannister being full of fuel, or the vent hose that exits under the bike being clogged.
Interesting...having two bikes with the same problem naturally led me to wondering if it's something I've been doing to bring it on. I read somewhere that the charcoal cannister can get flooded with fuel if you top the tank off too full...?

Where would I find the cannister and is it easy to remove?

Bill.

IBA No.28132
BMW K1200GT (2007)
BMW K1200S (2005)
Ducati 696 Monster (the Wife's)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:32 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuchter
Interesting...having two bikes with the same problem naturally led me to wondering if it's something I've been doing to bring it on. I read somewhere that the charcoal cannister can get flooded with fuel if you top the tank off too full...?

Where would I find the cannister and is it easy to remove?
Yeppir, it can get flooded.

You have to remove the seats and the gas tank, the cannister is on the left side under the gas tank. Be careful of the gas tank disconnects. Them suckers are brittle and thin. Would be a good time to replace them with metal (found in the HoW).

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode