ECU reprogram? How?2007 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2008, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

ECU reprogram? How?2007 K1200GT

I have installed a K&N filter (excess oil removed first), removed the snorkel by cutting the housing down to form a 1" flange. Put in a new Bosch O2 sensor. And am putting on a Two Brothers M2 slip on pipe. I was told that it wouldn't hurt to reset the TPS by disconnecting the battery for a moment, then hooking it back up. Turn on the key wait until everything is gone through (without starting). Then slowly open and then close the throttle. I asked if disconnecting the battery 20-30 min would reset the ECU. I was told that it didn't. I thought I read somewhere that if you clear out the ECU it would re-learn the stored settings, and speed up the adaptive learning process (mapping adaptations). I have seen that it will learn this on it own, but this speeds up the process. Is any of this true, because I've also heard that this is a narrow range O2 sensor and functions mostly like an on / off switch not really providing constant feedback and adjustments to the ECU. That, that would require mass airflow sensors and additional systems.
Any words of wisdom out there.
PS: I'm at 6000 feet in Albuquerque for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:34 pm
Addict

What you say is pretty much correct as far as I know.

I'm not sure that the map gets modified or learned as such. But I do know that when you first turn the key, the ECU learns the critical dc levels set by the TPS. It expects the TPS to be in its preset position corresponding to the mechanical zero. Which is why it's important to have slack in the throttle cable to get the correct initialisation. If the TPS is read maladjusted with a dc offset I think the map range all moves up (or down).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 1:07 pm
Strafist

When you disconnect the positive from the battery, ground it and turn on the key. This will get rid of any lingering charges in the adaptive memory.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2008, 12:52 pm
Addict

Not if they put a diode in the ECU power line, which they probably did to make it idiot proof and stop it getting fried if somebody reverse connected the battery.

30 minutes wait seems about what people do.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2008, 12:58 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Not if they put a diode in the ECU power line, which they probably did to make it idiot proof and stop it getting fried if somebody reverse connected the battery.

30 minutes wait seems about what people do.
Dohhhhhh.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode