Replacing K1200GT 2003 headlight - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2008, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Replacing K1200GT 2003 headlight

There is a bar holding against the back of the headlight and i'm just wondering if that needs to be popped down to access the headlight. I don't have the owners manual i bought the bike from my uncle and didn't recive it. If anybody knows of an online step by step it would be nice. I just don't want to break any plastic that will need a whole housing replace.
Also if anybody knows of a super bright bulb to put in I'm wanting to hear some options i want the low beam to be crystal white like my PIAA's that are on the bike. and is there a different type bulb for the high beam light as well? its only the low beam that is out.

Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2008, 7:45 pm

Casey, I have an 03 also. I wondered about the bar myself the first time I replaced the bulb. The bar seemed to be on very tight, I also didn't want to break it. Once I got my fingers on it firmly (not easy) and pulled steadily out and then down, it popped off readily. Getting it back on was a pain too. I guess it is just made that way with a lot of tension.
The auto parts store had 2-3 types of 'bright white' bulbs. I don't remember which I bought but it is very white and bright.
Good luck. Have you considered adding additional brake lighting. I feel much better now that there's more light at the rear than just the stock light.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 2:11 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcalibur13
There is a bar holding against the back of the headlight and i'm just wondering if that needs to be popped down to access the headlight. I don't have the owners manual i bought the bike from my uncle and didn't recive it. If anybody knows of an online step by step it would be nice. I just don't want to break any plastic that will need a whole housing replace.
Also if anybody knows of a super bright bulb to put in I'm wanting to hear some options i want the low beam to be crystal white like my PIAA's that are on the bike. and is there a different type bulb for the high beam light as well? its only the low beam that is out.

Casey
So, you're replacing the headlamp bulb on a 2003 GT?

Jumping way ahead, save yourself the agony of trying to replace the bulb with everything in place.

BTDT
Got the T-Shirt.

Remove the plastic. That's the two hand guards(two screws), two dash pieces(two screws), then the nose piece(four screws and two plastic tabs along the windscreen).

Remove the headlamp assembly. There are three screws to remove, a parking lamp under the assembly (that just pulls out) and a wire connector. The wire connector has a spring-clip holding things in place that looks like it needs to be pulled off. But, if you push it in at the same time as removing the wire connector, you don't get the spring-clip jumping off and flying to places unseen. Then, carefully remove the headlamp assembly. You can then put it on a work surface and remove the rear dust cover (held in place by that wire bar you've been referring to). Once out and on the work surface, it's easy to see what's what.
Sylvania Superbright?
PIAA makes a superbright one too, but it's $$$
Don't touch the glass of the replacement bulb. Clean with alcohol if you do. Otherwise, the oils from your fingers (there's always some oil on your fingers) will cause the glass to burst when the light is on due to the intense heat.

Reverse to reassemble.

Taking the plastic off seems extreme, but the first time is the worst. Maybe an hour, but after that, you should be able to go from start to riding again in 25 minutes. The GT has a control arm and motor for the adjustable windscreen that gets in the way of reaching into the back of the headlamp assembly to replace the bulb. Too many attempts to count in an effort to do it the same way the RS owners get to replace their bulb. Take the plastics off and it'll be done much quicker.

By the way, when you have the headlamp assembly out, you'll see there's a white lever with a screw adjustment on the right side of the back. That's what adjusts the lamp height of the low beam. That lever has three positions, up, midway, and down. Up and down lowers the beam for when you have all the weight in the world on the back (two-up with luggage) and you don't want to adjust the preload, or the preload doesn't compensate enough. The middle postion is where you'd normally have the lever. I adjust my low beam up with the screw (lever in the middle position) until the top edge of the beam is just about to come off the trunk-lid of the car in front of me and light-up the inside. Not high enough for folks to adjust their rear-view mirror or flash their highbeams (oncoming) at me. Lights up the road pretty well. Not perfect, but much better. Most of the K1200's seem to have their headlamp adjusted so you can easily see the front tire grooves as you're motoring down the road. Why the factory seems to think this is important, I don't know. Cheapest fix, though, is to adjust the headlight beam up. Better bulbs come next.

Oh. Highbeam replacement is pretty much the same. You can see it all on the initial replacement after you get the headlamp assembly out and off of the bike.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:53 am
Addict

Excellent advice from Ray.

Once you have it all laid bare you can see how the spring clip holds on the shroud. I managed to get mine off once. hands up plastics on - but getting it back was a real PITA and there's every chance you can get a lamp misaligned in the socket 'cos you can't really see what you are doing. Then your light beam is all over the place.

When you get the plastics off, now is a good time to check all the instrument bulbs and replace the blown and black one's. You don't want to go back there too soon. Low beam always fails first if you ride low beam on in daylight (most do).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Enthusiast

I have found "working blind" by standing facing the front of the windscreen, straddling the front wheel, it is really pretty simple to reach around the fairing and remove/replace either headlamp bulb. Requires dexterity and knowledge of how the clips, connectors and lamps are engaged.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 3:53 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
I have found "working blind" by standing facing the front of the windscreen, straddling the front wheel, it is really pretty simple to reach around the fairing and remove/replace either headlamp bulb. Requires dexterity and knowledge of how the clips, connectors and lamps are engaged.
Forgive me, but in your .sig line, it says "K1200RS". Now, I'm jumping to conclusions in thinking that you don't have the electrically adjustible windscreen, hence you don't have the additional joy of manuvering (yeah, it's spelled wrong in some part of the world ) around the additional motor and control arm that the GT has, crowding further the small area behind the dust shield of the headlamp.

Trust me, if standing anywhere different would give me the access I need, I'd try it in a heartbeat.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 8:13 pm
Strafist

Pulling the electric motor to the windshield isn't hard on the new GT. Getting to the facking plug is.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2012, 8:10 am
Rookie

just posted instructions with pictures in this forum

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8284
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2013, 5:10 pm
Addict

Thumbs up

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode