ABS Modulator Replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:39 am Thread Starter

ABS Modulator Replacement

The ABS Modulator died on my '00 R1100S (OK - before I get grief, I own a K-bike too - and this thread should be applicable to K bikes as well). When actuated, the modulator sounds something akin to a blender mincing 1/4-20 nuts and bolts. Pretty disappointing for a bike that has less than 10K miles on the clock and has been maintained to BMW spec (including periodiic flushing of the brake fluid).

In any case - the new part from BMW is only (gasp!) $2100+.

I'm considering getting a "working" one from a salvage bike and giving it a try - the used unit will have the same BMW part # (e.g. 34512331637) as the original unit (there are almost as many different modulators out there as bike models that use them).

I understand that the same modulator part # is used on some model years of K1200RS, R1200C, R1150GS, and R1150 Adv.

Question - has anyone had experience with ABS modulator transplants? I've heard that eventhough the part # may be the same. modulators from different model bikes make have to be re-coded by a dealer? Any truth to this?

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 1:48 pm
Looking for better limits...

Can't offer much. If they're the same unit across the board, then there's some tweaks needed. Some of the models listed I believe are fully integrated, where the front lever and right-side pedal operate both brakes. The others are partially-integrated, where the front lever operates both, but the right-side pedal operates only the rear brake. I don't recall reading about anyone digging into the ABS system other than the shock of the ABS module/servo replacement.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 2:28 pm
Addict

If your bike is an 00 then it may be the simpler ABS11 like mine. If it's servo plus linked brakes, I'm outa my depth!

Yes I know a poster who has been inside with pics BUT you have to be prepared for some electro-mechanical experience and a unit that if you make worse, isn't going to hurt. Since BMW don't sell individual parts you are going to be stuffed if you need something. Actually swapping over a modulator and re-bleeding ABS11 once you get the battery case out isn't such a difficult job.

Most problems I've read have been electrical - pumps not working, integral relay failed, reverse diode short circuit. Mincing sounds more like something in the electric pump armature area assuming you have no warnings lit up. Not sure when you get these noises because my modulator only operates when I deliberately lock a wheel, otherwise it is pretty innactive as it should be. It's the innactivity and lack of operation that we think causes the more usual pump sieze problem which then puts up the flashing warning and stores the dreaded ABS modulator fault code when you get it read.

If you are sure the modulator is working as it should (i.e not working most of the time if it is ABS11) then I'd go the Boneyard route. If it's ABS11 and active during normal braking then I'm not sure it should be and you may have an issue in the ABS computer which controls the modulator. I suspect the ABS modulator may be paired with the ABS computer. You don't want to replace the modulator and find out it was a computer fault. Obviously changing both with a pair from the Boneyard off the same bike may give you a better outcome.

ECU's also have many different part numbers and I haven't worked out yet if they all have different firmware code or not. The current parts fiches seem to have stabilised on 1 or 2 part numbers for most years. But when you see a boneyard ECU there seems to be many different part numbers.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:03 am Thread Starter

My R1100S has ABSII so that somewhat limited the number of donor bikes - but I found one from an '02 R1150GS that has the same BMW part # - will install and hope for the best!

Apparently there is a special diagnostic mode that dealers can put the ABS unit in which exercises pistons and facilitates flushing - it was in this mode that mine was making expensive noises. Even after resetting the trouble codes, it would default back to "flashing christmas tree mode" after emitting an loud metallic crunch.

At least the dealer I'm working with is happy to try the used unit as opposed to insisting on the $2000+ new unit!

Mark

'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2008, 4:09 pm
Addict

Those kind of dealers are worth hanging on to!

It's a pity riders can't do this sort of thing with a non oem diagnostics unit. I've had some ideas for a while now on how to do something similar with no knowledge needed of the diags unit. Excercising the ABS pistons on a regular basis would probably stop them seizing up.

You can bring on the rear quite easily, but I'm not sure I'd want to ride the bike on gravel then hit the front brake, just to make the ABS work for me. I guess it's the sort of thing motocross and GS riders do all the time off road.

Good luck with the part.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2008, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

The Transplant was a Success!

I managed to get a used modulator from a salvaged 2002 R1150GS off eBay for only $65 - "as-is", of course, but a steal if it worked.

I delivered the unit and bike to Max BMW in Northhampton, NH for the transplant - after the unit was recoded for the 1100S and completely flushed and filled, all was well!

Sometimes you get lucky - REAL LUCKY!

Mark

'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode