Shake your bootie - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

Shake your bootie

After riding 225 miles from the dealer to my home following an annual service, I decided to wash some road dirt off of the lower parts and noticed black residue washing out of the rear wheel hub. There was a lot of it coming from between the hub and the center part of the wheel casting and, unlike grease, it appeared thin, so I thought it might be brake dust. Since we are hearing a lot about final drive failures, out of curiosity I rocked the wheel with a twisting motion to check for final drive tightness... and it moved, about 5/16 of an inch! I then checked the wheel mounting bolts and they were tight. I looked at the annual service and the inspection checklists and there is not an item in either that is related to checking for play in the rear wheel or final drive. Now I must have the bike towed back to the dealer so he can repair the final drive. I've thought of many bad scenarios that might have occurred if I hadn't made the check myself. I always do this when I remount a wheel, but not in between tire changes. In the future I will periodically shake that bootie every couple of thousand miles before it decides to unexpectedly shake mine... right into the ground.

07 K1200GT
02 R-1150GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:20 am
Addict

I have to pick up on a serious issue: You said you rode 225 miles after a dealer service then (correctly) identified the rear bearing failure?

I would be very surprised if the bearing play (and residue) had 'just appeared' in that ride home. If they replaced the RD oil and assuming they remembered to fill it up, I'm surprised there was no evidence of wear in the oil drained out.

If you hadn't done what you did, you would be more at risk than those of us that do our own checks and servicing. If I was paying for dealer service, I'd expect the bike to run 6 months or up to 6K without any health hazards. You might have just been unlucky, but I can't believe there was zero bearing play when the dealer had your bike in for service.

Now check the ABS sensor clearances on the center stand with the rear wheel hanging free, then with a friend sitting as pillion. I bet the gap tolerances are way out of spec. Also do a visual on the surface of that sensor as it can touch and wear with a failed bearing. I'd expect the sensor clearances to be checked on a service and that alone can give some clues. Well I would do it.

Hopefully you have caught it soon and the repair prognosis may be good and quick (new bearing and seal).

I sometimes take a lateral view on these problems, so I wonder why we have brake pad wear indicators on new bikes when I'd really like to know if the rear drive bearing is about to collapse with me on the bike!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode