Both Hi and Low Beam out... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Both Hi and Low Beam out...

Hey folks,

Turned on the bike today and couldn't switch between hi and lo beam, indicator remained on hi. Later when it got dark I realized I had no headlight, hi or lo! The parking light stays on and all other lights seem to function. I washed the bike earlier that AM. No excessive flooding I think, but perhaps that had something to do with it. Any sequence of fixes to try, easier to harder would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:55 pm

Search this forum and the Community Archive Forum for "grounding" or "ground" issues. There is apparently a ground wire that is common to both the high and low beams that has been know to corrode from heavy rain/washing. It also will burn up when higher wattage bulbs are used (as a side note).

Randy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:56 pm
Veteran

What year, model, of the bike??? Give us something to go on. Was your handelbar stop switch in the OFF position??
Bruce C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 9:02 pm

Randy is right. Open the dust cover and look for the two brown wires connected to the high beam bulb holder just below the bulb. One of them is loose or got hot enough that it melted the wire. Known issue with the K1200LT bikes as well. Tell tale sign is the high beam indicator being on.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 9:12 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I ride a 2004 K1200GT still under warranty. Not sure what you mean about the stop switch. Lights are out wether stop switch is on or off. Thanks for those tips. Will check them out first thing in the AM. Mucho Appreciation.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 2:59 am
Addict

Checking the ground wire on a warranty bike is a pain as you have to take the front plastics off. Then it's not so simple as I found out removing the instruments - the plastics on my older 'K' are interlocked with the sides, so they have to come off first.

If you're actually riding or running the motor and the main/dip are not on when the blue tell tall tail is on for main I'd let the dealer sort on warranty. You could be unlucky and both bulb filaments have gone but unlikely and probable cause is the ground wire as others posted.

I found just getting the lamp holder out from the rear without removing any plastic quite difficult.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 8:02 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjohnny
I ride a 2004 K1200GT still under warranty. Not sure what you mean about the stop switch. Lights are out wether stop switch is on or off. Thanks for those tips. Will check them out first thing in the AM. Mucho Appreciation.
Take it back to the dealer. It is a warranty problem if the beam is not burned out(very unlikly.
Bruce C
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:30 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

wires and bulbs are okay...

I checked the wires and bulbs today. They seem fine. Fuses are good.I forgot to mention that I have a Kisan modulator installed (put it in when I got the bike and was so used to it I forgot it was there). Maybe that is the problem or perhaps the switch? Fuses seem fine. Don't mind taking it to the dealer but was hoping to fix it myself and not go through the hassle. Thanks again for your insights. -John
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 4:24 am
Addict

My $$'s are on the series electronics you introduced. Perhaps it has its own internal fuse. If your problem was a common ground fault you should tell that easy by metering or connecting a spare bulb between battery positive and the headlamp ground wire.

Unless I could be convinced that something in series with my headlights would always fail safe to bypass, I'd be nervous. Switch your lights off for a second on an unlit road with your visor down and you'll get the idea.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:19 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

You make a great point. Thanks. I will investigate and report back. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode