K100RS advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2009, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

K100RS advice

Just bought a 1985 K100RS with 36,000 miles and am trailering it home tomorrow morning. Has only been ridden a couple-hundred miles in the past two years. It starts and sounds fine but I wasn't able to ride it because of ice and snow. While I plan to hunker down and take the Clymer manual to bed with me, I'd appreciate if anyone could give me some "must dos" as far as getting the bike in shape for the riding season; that is, anything that might be appropriate for this bike beyond the obvious. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 8:58 am

This is probably the obvious but here goes anyway.

I would change all fluids, Engine, Trans, final drive, Clutch, and Brakes.

Check the rubber brake and clutch lines to make sure they are not swelling when you apply pressure.

Of course check tires for any cracks, out of balance, wear, and pressure.

Go over the bike and check all fasteners.

Unless you have full maintenance records on the bike it would probably be a good idea to do a full 36K mile service.

Ride and repeat.

Congratulations on the new ride.

Marc
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

Marc,

Thanks. Just got it home this afternoon and attached it to life support (Battery Tender). Until the temperature up a little, I'll probably have to limit myself to just inspecting, ordering parts for stuff that's obviously worn and in need of repair, and working on cosmetics. Rear rack needs to be taken off and repainted or powder coated. The inside bracket on the left side panel is broken, so I've have to hunt down a side panel and see if I can get a match paint-wise. Need a lower lock for one of the system cases. Little things like this and a general clean-up of the bike will probably take me a couple of weeks at which time it may be warm enough to tackle fluids, etc. I did get it jumped this afternoon and the engine sounds like it's running smoothly.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 6:50 pm
Rookie

Welcome to the club,you are know the proud owner of a flying brick had mine for 3 years know and been loving it. Your right take that book to bed with you and enjoy the reading. Some of the things you will need to be aware of is you will feel a slight buzzing in the handle bars. I took care of that by adding filling the bars with lead bird shoot took all the buzzing away.If you find your bike down shifting a little hard it might be time to grease the output splines (plan on a afternoon for this).
Another thing I did to mine was to add cruise control this winter I can't wait to try it out this summer. I also took both wheels in to be powered coated. This should make cleaning the brake dust off.
I removed the stock rear rack and add a larger flat rack so i can carry a small cooler when I take off for them 2-3 day rides.
It had 26K on it when I bought it and I have put almost another 30K on it my self.Most of the maintance is pretty easy to do your self like the valves, Fork fluids,brakes other than that enjoy the ride.

Nelson
96 R1100rt
85 K100RS 2V Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode