2007 K1200GT oil level check question. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

2007 K1200GT oil level check question.

Hello, just joined the team.

I bought a K bike and just changed the oil per the guide in the hall of wisdom. Thanks a bunch it is very helpful. I searched and could not find the procedure on how to check the oil level when the change is complete. Did I just miss it or is it not here. Bike didnt come with owners manual so I cant check there.

Do you run the bike for a specific time and let it sit for specific time then check? Do you screw the dipstick back in and check or do you just set it flush and check? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Do you want the oil level at the middle of the low/high mark on the stick or all the way to the high?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 2:22 pm
Strafist

I've never checked mine. The bike does it for you at stoplights.

If you want to check it manually, wait about 10 minutes and do it unscrewed. Anywhere twixt the marks is fine.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 2:48 pm
Addict

You can also check it with the BC button on the right grip. Have the bike at operating temperature make sure your in neutral, and the side stand up. cycle the BC button until you see the OIL display, then hold the button in for a few seconds. If the oil level is between the two marks on the dipstick you get a check mark next to the word OIL. Kind of a cool feature Hienz had his thinking cap on the day he designed it.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The bike does it for you at stoplights.
Is this the same as 2008-K1200GT's post below yours. Your saying the bike monitors it for you? Or the bike spews the excess into the road? ahahahaha
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 5:07 pm
Addict

I think Greg, and I were referring to the same thing. If your at a stop light in nuetral, side satnd up, cycle the BC button to oil, hold it down then wait for the check mark to appear, super convienient way to keep an eye on the oil level.

MOA Member #106320
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbeam
Hello, just joined the team.

I bought a K bike and just changed the oil per the guide in the hall of wisdom. Thanks a bunch it is very helpful. I searched and could not find the procedure on how to check the oil level when the change is complete. Did I just miss it or is it not here. Bike didnt come with owners manual so I cant check there.

Do you run the bike for a specific time and let it sit for specific time then check? Do you screw the dipstick back in and check or do you just set it flush and check? Thanks in advance for any replies.
If you are referring to checking the oil level After an oil change just warm up the bike ,shut it off and wait a minute or two then check the level on the dipstick at the tank .. should be somewhere between the marks.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Wow! This bike is smarter than me. I rode it a few miles and then it finally gave me the check mark when it heated up. Also manually checked and its good! Told me to put some air in the tires too. Wireless baby! Now I just need it to tell me the winning lotto numbers.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 7:10 pm
Addict

Your's didn't come with a lottery ticket from the dealer? Welcome aboard, I think you will fall in love with the bike, good luck with it

MOA Member #106320
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 8:42 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
I think Greg, and I were referring to the same thing. If your at a stop light in nuetral, side satnd up, cycle the BC button to oil, hold it down then wait for the check mark to appear, super convienient way to keep an eye on the oil level.
I'm never in neutral at a stoplight, ready to rabbit at the slightest hint of an intoxicated 102 year old, legally blind guy driving a big Buick and trying to comprehend what that red orb means dangling from them wires. The bike will automatically give you a check sitting there at a light with the clutch pulled in while in first...... if the light is long enough.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode