Fuel Tank Filler Internal Shroud - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2009, 4:35 am Thread Starter

Fuel Tank Filler Internal Shroud

Anyone know why BMW have fitted a deep tubular shroud inside the filler on K series? On the Euro K series forum a rider has drilled a series of holes around the shroud about 1/2" or so down from the top to enable more fuel to be put in the tank by allowing venting during filling above the bottom lip of the shroud. The idea of getting more fuel in the tank is appealling to get more range from my KR but before I follow suit I'd like to find out if there is a downside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2009, 5:00 am
Addict

If you are talking about the part that sits inside the tank, I didn't think mine was that big. But every liter helps. How much more fuel do you think you could get in?

My only concerns would be the sealing of the hinged cap and tank venting after modification. I know if I haven't pushed my cap right down to click and seal properly I soon get a smell of gas coming at me. With all the QD problems (mine have been metal for a while now) I like to think any gas I smell is a problem to look into quickly.

Here's the parts diagram. Are we talking about the part which is integral to the tank or another? I'm dead against modifying anything I can't easily and cheaply replace if mods don't work.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=16&fg=03

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2009, 6:26 am
Strafist

I've done this mod with no downsides to it. But, I have removed my charcoal canister. If it gets plugged with raw fuel, you'll cause your tank to implode, literally suck in. You also don't want to gas up to the top and park the bike in case of expansion.

Just get a guestimate of where the sealing occurs and drill below that. It is imperative that you take this part off of your bike before drilling, but I prolly didn't need to say that. Right?

I have an aftermarket cap and ring assembly from Pirate, which gives me even more room.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2009, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Voxmagna, I don't recognise the tank and parts in the diagram. I'm talking about a '06 K1200R which has a deep internal shroud as part of the tank filler and I'm assured that the fuel level sensor assembly is hung off that, inside the tank.
Grifscoots, presumably there is a vent inside at the top of the tank somewhere. Did you see it and if so, where is it? Cheers. ..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:09 pm

I drilled a hole on the right side of the filler neck and get about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon more. Seriously. I also lost the canister and that solved the stalling issue on hot days. Anyways, if i fill it up and park it on the center stand, it leaks out about a cup of fuel out the vent tube. If i am not gonna ride after topping it off, it just fill it to the bottom of the neck

2007 K1200GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 9:59 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccii42104
Anyways, if i fill it up and park it on the center stand, it leaks out about a cup of fuel out the vent tube.
I love the smell of gasoline on a warm morning.

I spent the night at some friends house in Dallas. I heard them the next morning in the garage exclaiming about smelling gas. It was a hard decision on whether to get a cup of coffee first, or join them in nose hits.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:39 pm
Addict

I did this mod on my bike a while back and don't have any problems with gas leaking out but I do leave some room for expansion.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=15

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode