Pre '09 Left thumb indicator cancel anyone? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Pre '09 Left thumb indicator cancel anyone?

On pre-'09 Ks has anyone attempted to switch (pun) the wiring for the indicator cancel switch from the right side to the horn switch on the left and vice versa? Seems to me that this would have saved BMW a lot of hassle instead of changing the left switch assembly to the '09 arrangement. For me this would be so much better than operating the indicator cancel switch with my right thumb with the problem of avoiding any dodgy movement of the throttle, especially in traffic with the instant engine reaction you get from these bikes. If not, any suggestions how to do this wiring mod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2009, 8:31 am
Addict

Now that seems an interesting idea since I'm always having trouble finding the horn when I need it. But I can see some issues. First the arrangement becomes non standard. I'm not sure if every bike has its horn on the left, if that's the case then other riders/owners could get confused. Personally I've now got used to the funny left right switches.

OK, so now for the practicals. I've had my '97 switches all apart to clean them. The 'push switches' are just that - no more than 2 wires each, simple push to make for 'on'.

The horn/switch rockers have different colors/legends and are handed so can't be swapped. The horn is on a relay so the low curent handling of both switches is the same.

If you are happy to have something different and won't worry about the switch colors/legends it's easy to do the swap since you are just talking 2 pairs of wires. I don't like quoting wire colors because they can be different, so check the Clymer wiring diagram. From memory, both handlebar wires arrive in the wiring junction box that sits on the right side under the tank. That's where I would go to do the switchover. Running wires right/left/right across the bike will be very untidy.

Finally, if somebody has added an Autoswitch on the indicator cancel, make sure that wire moves across too, else you'll find you need to hit the horn to put on the PIAA's!

I'd be interested to know how you find it works out after trying the mod. You could still end up hitting the new cancel/old horn and putting the left indicator on, but that's less likely if you rely mostly on self cancel and don't have Autoswitch.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 2:32 am
Veteran

Yep that horn switch sucks..by the time you find it its old news....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Noob

One possibility is Signal Minder
http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=4
I bought it to run the signals as running lights, However one of the features I like is it allows you to use the same button that you turned the signal on as a cancel for that signel.
In other words pressing the left signal button once sets the left signal, pushing it a second time toggles the the turn signal off.

Roger

2004 BMW K1200GT (grey-green)
Bakersfield, CA, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode