K100 RS 16v conked out - restarts only momentarily - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 4:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy K100 RS 16v conked out - restarts only momentarily

Hi All,
I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than myself can shed some light on this.

I was just riding my K100 to work this morning, and it suddenly cut out. It fires up again, no problem, for about a second and then cuts out again. There’s gas in the tank, and she sounds fine and runs smoothly, but just momentarily after starting just cuts out again.
Any ideas? Has the fuel pump gone, perhaps? I’d really appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:18 am Thread Starter
Noob

Well, it does seem to be something to do with the fuel pump. Though I've removed it, and put 12V across it, and it seems to be doing something, so I guess it must be a connection somewhere, as it's not the fuse.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 2:22 pm
Addict

Simple fault question, but possibly a complex answer unless you have more information. You only have 2 things to start looking at - Fuel and ignition electrics.

You can't prove a fuel pump just by seeing if it runs off 12 volt and not under pressure load since it does that when you start anyway? It's really whether the delivery pressure is being held at around 55 psi that matters and of course you've swapped out the fuel filter at the right interval so you are sure it's not blocked? Also check that the fuel tank is actually venting, see if the bike will run longer with the fuel cap lifted.

If you are 100% sure the rail is getting the right fuel pressure then you can move on to electrics. If you haven't the head for fault finding efi electrics, the quickest route to a solution, as long as you still have this problem, is a BMW diagnostics checkup. That's when they hook up R2D2 and you get a life history report on the bike with hopefully a diagnosis and possible solution.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode