'97 K1200RS won't restart when warm - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2009, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

'97 K1200RS won't restart when warm

Hi all!

Well firstly... my first post! so hopefully i do everything right!

Secondly i actually have a technical problem than I could do with some input on?

My bike starts fine when cold.. but as soon as it has had a full heat soak it wont re-start..... it is as if the battery is flat.... but it isn't! The only way to get it doing then is to bump-start it.... then when it is cold again..... starts on the button! I have just checked and cleaned all the earth terminals etc... I'm starting to think it is the start motor..... which seems like a BIG job to replace?

Any way, any input would be greatly appreciated!

over and out..

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 3:51 am
Addict

The most obvious place to start is the starter solenoid relay.

If the starter is regular at faulting when the bike is hot you are in luck. You need to hang a voltmeter on the battery negative and the starter positive terminal if you can get to it, or the big terminal on the starter relay output if you are sure the cable and connections to the starter are ok. Also make sure that the separate thick black cable from the battery negative terminal to the engine metalwork is present, connected and with clean connections under the bolts.

Crank the starter when cold and the voltage should read no less than about 10 volts. Then crank and measure the voltage when hot and the starter is failing. If the voltage is up around 12 volts with a hot motor you have a faulty starter. If the voltage drops to below 10 volts then either your battery is faulty or the starter relay is faulty. Move the test probe back to the battery positive terminal and if the voltage drops to below 10 volts you have a faulty battery.

It is not uncommon for an old battery to fault when hot, but worn starter brushes or a winding fault could also cause a starter fault.

The starter isn't easy to pull out, but you can just get to the positive connection for testing. I think you have to remove the battery box and possibly lift the frame a little.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Jun 27th, 2009 at 3:59 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode