2000 K1200rs Cranks but wont start??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 1:37 am Thread Starter

2000 K1200rs Cranks but wont start???

I have a 2000 K1200RS, This bike has had all its scheduled mainenance done at the dealership. now I strugle ust to pay bills and am having an issue with the bike. I rode this bike yesterday as I always do and had no problems. i went to go ride it today and it would not start. Turn on the key, the fuel pump does it's thing, crank it over and no start?? just cranks over but wont start. can someone give me an idea as to where to start the troubleshooting, - has this happened to anyone else? how do you fix it.

Thx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:43 pm
Enthusiast

first thing to determine:

does the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key to 'run'

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
first thing to determine:

does the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key to 'run'
Yes, The fuel pump cycles as it should, all the instrument lights that normally would come on still do. everything still works as it always did with the exception that the engine will not start. it cranks over and no start. My 1st guess would be the no spark (ignition control modual or coil maybe). But I am more of a car mechanic then a bike mechanic. I know the princibles are the same or similar, but I have never had to really work on the bike before, as I always took it to the dealer..

Rick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 7:15 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Is the bike in neutral ?

Is the sidestand down, cuz there's an interlock on it.

If you're trying to start the bike while it's on the sidestand, and if the bike is in gear but you figure "no big deal, I've got the clutch pulled in " it won't start.

Just a suggestion.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 10:45 pm
Enthusiast

IIRC there is a sidestand switch, a clutch lever switch (both prone to failure) plus a neutral indicator that all must agree before the bike will start. doublecheck, triplecheck, jump out as necessary

simplest way to check for ignition is to clamp an inductive timing light on a sparkplug lead right at the coil (no fairings to remove).

do you have fuel line Quick Disconnects? I've had a K12 come into my shop (no start) that I found a QD had come unplugged. Fixed that, still no start, pulled tank/fuelpump and found internal fuel line had blown off from running fuelpump against headheading QD

HTH,

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Stupid question as this happened to me yesterday.

Is the handle bar kill switch turned on?

OK it is probably too obvious but I thought I would ask.

Marc
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2009, 3:36 pm
Veteran

If its cranking then it wouldn't be any of the switches but you might have wash down from too much fuel....pull your plugs... put a few drops of motor oil in each cyl put your plugs back in and try to start..remember to change your motor oil ASAP.cause might have excessive gas in your crank case this happened to me once..don't know why and it never did it again ....one other thought...make sure you haven't got a bad tank of gas...never know what comes out of those stations when they get low on gas...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2009, 5:48 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
If its cranking then it wouldn't be any of the switches but you might have wash down from too much fuel....pull your plugs... put a few drops of motor oil in each cyl put your plugs back in and try to start..remember to change your motor oil ASAP.cause might have excessive gas in your crank case this happened to me once..don't know why and it never did it again ....one other thought...make sure you haven't got a bad tank of gas...never know what comes out of those stations when they get low on gas...
Yes flooding is easy with these bikes if you start rolling the throttle when cranking (don't do it, leave it on the idle stop)

If he pulls a plug then he might as well a) See if there's a spark and b) See if the plug is wet and smells of gas or smells gas at the muffler spout.

On a flooded motor, I usually put all 4 plugs on a gas cooker burner and heat until the yellow flame from gas and oil goes away, then put all 4 plugs back hot and crank. This has never failed yet.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 4:57 am Thread Starter

what I have done.

OK all - alot of good things to look @.. I pulled the skins to expose the tank and such. I do have spark, I did clean the plugs, I do have fuel but dont think I am getting enough of it. There were a few times I fired but still didnt start. when the plug were out and after disconnecting the coil I cranked it over and it appeared that fuel anly came out of the1st few cylinders less from #2 and hardley from #3 and none that I cld see from #4. - even though the fuel pump cycles could it not be enough pressure, I cant find a valve to hook a pressure guage to.

Rick
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:39 am Thread Starter

It is fixed and running again.

ok you ready for this, - who was it taht saidthe furl lines in the tank may have popped off. that was exactly the issue. the fuel line popped of right after the fuel filter so the fuel was just pumping right back into the tank. rather then to thge fuel rail.. the issue is resolved. thanks everyone.

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode