New Factory BMW Battery Issue K75 S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:22 am Thread Starter
Noob

Question New Factory BMW Battery Issue K75 S

Have a 1990 K75 S with 25K on it and I just put a new OEM BMW battery ($160) in it a month ago. It has gone flat (voltage dropping 2 volts or more) 4 times since installed. The alternator is charging at 13.35 V at the battery, all connections are clean and tight. If I don't leave it on the tender it will go flat in 4-5 days tops. I've checked the voltage before going for a ride with it fully charged and come home a few hours later and it will be down .5 volts in that time. Anyone had this happen to them ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 2:27 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEJETSKI2000
Have a 1990 K75 S with 25K on it and I just put a new OEM BMW battery ($160) in it a month ago. It has gone flat (voltage dropping 2 volts or more) 4 times since installed. The alternator is charging at 13.35 V at the battery, all connections are clean and tight. If I don't leave it on the tender it will go flat in 4-5 days tops. I've checked the voltage before going for a ride with it fully charged and come home a few hours later and it will be down .5 volts in that time. Anyone had this happen to them ?
Suggestions:

1. You should check first if there is a current draw when the ignition switch is off. You cannot fault your new battery until that check is done.

2. That charge voltage may be ok for a near fully charged battery, but if the battery is so flat the starter is sluggish I'd have expected something over 14 volt from the alternator. Try putting the low and high beams on with the engine running at 2-3K rpm. If you see around 14 volts across the battery the alternator is probably OK. If you see 12 volts then it isn't taking care of the load.

All batteries will settle to 12 volt if you leave them standing without charge or tender.

The best test of whether a battery has lost charge or not, is the battery terminal voltage whilst the starter is being cranked. Once it drops below 9-10 volts the battery has insufficient capacity.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 7:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

After topping it off yesterday I checked the voltage and it was 12.96 V, this morning it was down .4 volts, which seems excessive to me. I'm going to double-check all the wiring connections as I saw a bit of rust on the negative lead where it connects to the motor. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the starter lead also I guess. The dealer said they'll load test it for me but I'll check the obvious stuff first so I don't look too stupid if it turns out the battery is ok.

Last edited by MEJETSKI2000; Aug 22nd, 2009 at 7:12 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 8:07 am
Addict

The most obvious thing is to check the current drain first with th key off. That might tell you something about:

Addons taking power.
Alternator diodes/regulator faulty and causing current drain.

If the correct charge is going in (you don't know) or with the key off it's coming out (you don't know), then you cannot prove very much about the battery.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 9:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

I'll re-test the alternator per your suggestion with hi-beams on. Bike has no add-ons and has never had any previous electrical issues in 10 years I've owned it. I'll also check how far it drops when I crank the engine. Hopefully it'll point me / us in the right direction.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 5:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Alternator fine, but I have a dead short to ground reading full battery voltage thru the ground circuit. (DVOM between negative terminal and cable).

Started pulling fuses and when I pulled the turn signal fuse the voltage dropped to .02V, about what I expect the clock and ECU to draw. Time to test switches.

Last edited by MEJETSKI2000; Aug 22nd, 2009 at 5:34 pm.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2009, 5:18 am Thread Starter
Noob

Meter reading didn't change when turn signal switches or starter relay unplugged. I assume that means the switches aren't the issue. Meter didn't change when I unplugged the alternator leads (not running) so I suspect that means the diodes are fine,output measured at 13.7V under load at 3K rpm. Not sure where to go from here, except to pulling other relays and see what happens.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2010, 5:17 pm
Noob

Hey
I just stumbled onto this old thread..kinda late with an idea..but my clock was killing batteries on my 87 K75. I had a hard time believing that a digital clock was knocking down a battery. but the amp meter didn't lie. I pulled the pin and velcro'd an old timex over the window. Sorry so late..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode