BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Gear shift indicator stopped working after service

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  emmby 
#1 ·
So I took my '99 K1200RS in to BMW San Francisco last week to get its annual service, among a few other things. It's got about 17k miles on it.

After the service I got a call from the rep saying everything was fixed so I came by and picked up the bike. On the ride to work from the dealership, I noticed that the gear shift indicator stopped working. Instead of indicating 1-0-2-3-4-5-6 as I shift through gears, it indicated 0-0-0-3-4-4-4. In other words, 1, 2, 5 and 6 stopped displaying properly.

I am certain that I did not have this problem before dropping the bike off.

So I call up BMW SF and tell them about the problem, expecting that they'll take care of it since in my mind they caused the problem (inadvertently I'm sure). However, I was told it would cost me an additional $250 in parts and labor to fix it! The rep said that it was most likely the sensor attached to the gearbox, and since the only thing they did was add fluid to the gearbox it was unlikely that anything they did caused the problem.

Here's my question: what may have gone wrong, and how likely is it that BMW SF didn't cause the problem?

I acknowledge that it's POSSIBLE that they didn't break anything and that it's purely a coincidence that the problem manifested while the bike was at the service center, but in my mind that seems much less likely than the scenario that someone just screwed up somehow and now my gear shift indicator doesn't work. ESPECIALLY considering that they did touch the gear box during the service, if only to add fluid.

I also find it suspicious that I've left two messages for the head of the service department over the course of four days and haven't received a call back, even though I've confirmed that he's in the office. But maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

See less See more
#2 ·
The gear indicator switch does have a plug connection in the wiring harness. In the picture from the manual, it looks like its on the left side, under the seat, near the round electrical connector. Could SFBMW possibly have disconnected it, or knocked it loose?
Also the selector switch is held onto the transmission by a spring or tension -type clip. Check that the switch is firmly attached to the trans.

Bruce C

#3 · (Edited)
The shift display number is achieved by a combination of grounds (0 volts) and open circuits (Z) on each of 3 wires feeding the gear display. In fact you can disconnect the connector and put grounds in various combinations to prove the display is OK. Conversely you can check the connector wires going back to the shift switch with an ohmeter, to make sure you get the right ground combinations in each shift. There is a 4th gear switch wire that just indicates neutral and is ground only in Neutral, open circuit in any selected gear. This drives the neutral light and safety interlocks

Here's the truth table where 'Z' = open circuit:

On my diagram, but I never trust colours, A= Yellow/Blue, B= Yellow/Black, C=Yellow/White. Neutral indicator: Brown/Violet.

For wires A, B, C:

Neutral: A=0, B=0, C=0. (Neutral switch wire =0)

1st: A=0, B=0, C=Z. (Neutral switch wire =Z)
2nd: A=0, B=Z, C=0. "
3rd: A=0, B=Z, C=Z. "
4th: A=Z, B=0, C=0. "
5th: A=Z, B=0, C=Z. "
6th: A=Z, B=Z, C=0. "

Your fault looks like a permanent ground short on wires B&C. Open circuit wiring through loose connections, would not produce your diplay readings.

Either the display is faulty, the wiring to the switch has been crushed, or the gear selector switch is faulty.

I'd have your dealer look at it, sounds like a simple wiring problem but might be expensive. Good Luck.

#5 ·
The supply to both the clock and gear indicator are on one of the pins on the multi-way connector and come from fuse F5 (4A). There is no power connection to the gear indicator switch itself, only grounds.

It's been a while now since I was in there, but when I got my used K, the gear indicator and or clock didn't work at all. I had power leaving the fuse but nothing on the end of the wire at the clock connector. Since I wasn't about to strip the loom to find a puny broken wire (suspect at the steering head end where everything moves), I ran in a new wire and it's been fine ever since.

#6 ·
Shift Indicator

emmby said:
On the ride to work from the dealership, I noticed that the gear shift indicator stopped working. Here's my question: what may have gone wrong, and how likely is it that BMW San Francisco didn't cause the problem?
My humble opinion... Dealer completed the service work and then washed the bike very thoroughly before returning it to you. Water got into the switch mechanism sitting atop the transmission and is causing your erratic indications. Switch will dry out and return to normal, but I have seen them take over a week to do it. A common problem when too much enthusiasm is used spraying water into the bodywork crevices forward of the rear wheel.

#7 ·
UPDATE

Well, as predicted by K Biker Bill, the problem has gone away of its own accord.

The bike sat unattended in the garage over the holidays but went out for its first ride this morning. During the ride everything worked perfectly. We'll see if it stays that way, but for now at least it appears that Bill's theory holds true.

I'll send BMW SF a note so that if this happens again they'll have something to tell the next guy besides a quote for $300.

Thanks for the very informative thread!

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.