electrical outlet for heated gear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

electrical outlet for heated gear

I just picked up my first BMW and I am beside myself. I have always wanted one, so I went and bought myself a beautiful 2006 K 1200s with 14,000 miles on the clock. I have a couple of questions. first, is the brake fluid supposed to be red. I just came off jap bikes and I am used to brake fluid being more honey colored. second, I was told that the outlet on the case can handle 5amps, but my gerbing jacket pulls 6. can I directly wire that outlet to the battery with no adverse effects. I was wearing heated gloves, but with these grips i dont think i will need them. so I am looking forward to putting many miles on this bike, since the bike I came off of had 99,000. a 1995 suzuki RF900. not too many of those have seen that kind of mileage. I am hoping to do the same on the K12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2010, 8:35 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I have a GT, not an S, but I'm guessing the accessory plug area would be the same. There should be a knockout next to the existing outlet for you to have the ability to install a second outlet. The dealers have those things in stock, and most of us have wired a second outlet with an inline fuse, direct to the battery. Works great.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:52 am
Enthusiast

Dark Tea color on the brake fluid you should change and flush the brake systmem. Don't forget that if you have an ABS bike there is both the control and wheel circut. They have different change intervals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 1:29 pm
Enthusiast

Do yourself a favor and purchase a Powerlet canbus bypass harness. It basically is a harness that connects the accessory terminal directly to the battery thus eliminating the canbus 5amp limit. It's a pretty straightforward install and is a great upgrade to be doing while its too cold to be riding around anyway. Congrats on your new wheels!

Jim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 4:09 pm
Looking for better limits...

Gerbing sells a battery connection (wire with round connectors for the battery) that has a 30 amp fuse and a mating connector for your jacket. During the cold season here, I have it draped around the back of the seat unless I'm plugged in. It's gotten to the point where I don't even have the on-off switch or the controler. On the rare occasions where I either need no more heat or need it connected, I just use the plug. No fussing with any can-bus adaptor. During the warm season, the cord is coiled up under the seat, out of the way.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode