Clutch and possible gearbox issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2010, 4:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Clutch and possible gearbox issues

89 K75, 50K miles, splines never lubed, and no leaks. My bike recently suffered a clutch failure and I was wondering where to go next. I've inspected the clutch and most of the splines (i left the swingarm on). I noticed that the friction plate spline was completely stripped and that there was residue/rust everywhere inside the clutch. I also was looking at the input spline of the gearbox and wondering whether is was likewise ruined and the gearbox with it (at least finacially). Furthermore, while removing the gearbox the pushrod stuck and took a bit of weight. I rolled it on the ground and it did not appear to wobble. Is it ruined? Obviously I need a new pressure plate, i need to lube the splines, and generally clean-up; but what else do I need to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	11861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	11862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	11863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	11864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	11865  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2010, 9:25 pm
Veteran

I think you need to take the rear drive off and look at those splines too, if they look as bad as the ones on the tranny..... I know those splines can be rebuilt, but it means opening the tranny and getting the driveshaft out , not too bad of a job but the driveshaft may have to be shimmed properly , so you would need a shop manual with the procedure for that.

For the pushrod, you need to roll it on a piece of plate glass to really see if it is bent or putting it on a drill may also give you an idea.

While you are in there you may want to replace the O-Ring behind the big nut on the clutch housing, they do fail ....and still do on the newer bikes.But you want to take that clutch housing off anyway just to clean that "Rust Dust" from behind ,in case it makes its way into the rear main seal.

Pressure plate, housing cover, they may clean up, hard to tell from just a few pics,you better start sanding, don't worry too much that steel is pretty hard, I'd even hit that with an orbital sander and a wire wheel on an angle grinder. But the diaphragm spring should be changed for sure that is what applies the pressure on the clutch.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 1:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I don't have the abilty to repair the driveshaft myself, but I have found k75/100 driveshaft and a whole new transmission for $300. As far as price goes would it be better for someone else repair it, replace the driveshaft, or buy a whole new transmission, ? Also, would it be too difficult to do the labor myself? I've gotten this far, but i'm not real comfortable getting inside the transmission. I understand your working with pretty exact mechanics and I'm worried I'll mess it up even worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 9:11 pm
Veteran

For $300.00, if the tranny is good, I'd go for that, would cost you more than that to repair yours, 2-3-4 hours work at dealer's price plus the parts. But the Driveshaft I mentioned is the one in the transmission, that is what it is called by BMW, most of us would call it the Input Shaft.
Back to a used tranny, you should bench test it first, just to make sure it shifts into all its gears, and fill it with oil and lean it toward the seals for a while to make sure they do not leak, one of my friends got caught like that, he had to remove the tranny again to replace the front seal. Mind you I would probably replace that one anyway just in case.
Here are more parts for sale:
http://www.ibmwr.org/market/adlist.php?cat=kps

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2010, 8:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I've bench tested my current tranny and it goes through all the gears. I inspected the swingarm and output spline and they appear to be fine. What i was worried about was the input spline. Does it look too stripped to save? Everything else seems ok and I would be overwelmed if all I had to buy was a friction plate.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2010, 12:05 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1ggy315
I've bench tested my current tranny and it goes through all the gears. I inspected the swingarm and output spline and they appear to be fine. What i was worried about was the input spline. Does it look too stripped to save? Everything else seems ok and I would be overwelmed if all I had to buy was a friction plate.
Yeah, I understand. But, my looking at the picture doesn't do any good. Take it to someone that deals with splines locally and ask them what they think about fixing vs. replacement. If they look worn to you, they're worn, and the input shaft should be addressed. Otherwise, you're going to be replacing the pressure plate 8,000 miles from now. BTDT ...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode