K1300S Rear Brake Failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 2:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1300S Rear Brake Failure

I just bought a new 2009 K1300S and have 261 miles on it, (4 days old) and had about 7 instances where the rear brake pedal bottomed out without any braking pressure being applied to the brakes! This happened on 1 ride about 7 times, which is very unsettling, and has happened while moving, and while stopped with engine running. The brakes had been working properly before that, and now, but I haven't been able to duplicate it! There were no warning lights either, when this happened. I took it back to the dealer immediately, and they are going to put it on the computer,and check it out, but I'm worried that they won't be able to duplicate it either.
When working properly, the pedal only moves about an inch, and the brakes are on.
When I have this failure, the pedal travels 3-5" until it bottoms out, without any resistance on the pedal, and brake doesn't work at all!

Has anyone else had this problem, or knows if it is common? The dealer had never heard of it happening.
Brake fluid is full.

Thanks,
Tom

78 Kaw Z1R 1000, 84 Yam 650 Turbo, 01 Suz GSXR 1000, 03GSXR 1000, 04 Yam R 1
Now Riding: 2009 K1300S Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 5:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Dealer called back and said everything checked out fine, and the computer showed no problems. I talked to the mechanic, and the only thing that he could think of was that there might have somehow been air in the modulator. They could not duplicate the problem by riding, etc. I picked it up today, same day as problem, (good service) and it seems fine, just like it was before today's problem.

I hate things that come and go. I wish it had just failed totally and consistently, so it could be fixed. I don't want it to rear it's ugly head when I need to brake hard!

78 Kaw Z1R 1000, 84 Yam 650 Turbo, 01 Suz GSXR 1000, 03GSXR 1000, 04 Yam R 1
Now Riding: 2009 K1300S Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode