it dies on me! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2010, 3:04 am Thread Starter
Noob

it dies on me!

Hi,

I've had an intermittant fault for a long time, my 1985 K100 will cut out and then it won't restart. I have checked all the connections all over the loom and changed the starter motor brushes. Sometimes, shakeing the loom brings it back to life. Sometimes, when starting up, it will sputter and die, other times it will start up straight away. It seems to be less capricious since I changed the starter brushes. The Speedometer hasn't worked for a while, after I changed the brushes, it started working, after 100kms I set the trip back to zero, speedo stopped. This is driving me slowly up the wall!

Regards, Matthew

Last edited by mattinker; May 31st, 2010 at 3:35 pm. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2011, 3:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Finally I found it!

I never did find out why it just died until today! An 88 K100 came my way very cheaply, so I just gave up! My "new K started playing up, cutting out and then not starting, when it cooled down, it would start right up. Searching around on the net, I came up with the possibility that it could be the ignition pick up coils as I 'd checked all the connections and it didn't get any better. I thought I've got another set of coils on the old bike, I'll try those. Well, it wouldn't start at all! I put the old ones back and it started right up! So my old problem was the ignition pick up coils, but I still don't know if my "new" bike needs the coils changing! They are sooo expensive new I'm on the hunt for some second hand ones to at least prove something!

Regards, Matthew
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2011, 1:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinker
They are sooo expensive new I'm on the hunt for some second hand ones to at least prove something!
If you`re a bit handy, you just replace the pick ups. Far more cheaper. Honeywell.

Inge K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2011, 6:35 am
Veteran

Different bike but the info is still relevant, same "Hall Effect Vane Position Sensor"

http://www.ebbo.org/2av54.php

And a little more here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Ignition.htm

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2011, 2:05 pm
Enthusiast

I have working hall sensors, if you need them, I also have lots of engine stuff after my k100 restore

2007 Bmw k1200GT (My Vroom Bike)
1995 BMW k1100lt (Sold) (My mini-bus)
1998 BMW k1200rs Taxi (Sold) (Didn't get to say goodbye)
1986 BMW k100rt (My classic and first, Restore in Progress)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2011, 12:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Halle coils

Hi,

I found a secondhand pair of coils on eBay UK, (Just over the chanel from me!) which apper to be fine. Iam a little aprehensive as apparently, I've had two sets go out on me!

Inge K. you say that you can replace them if you're a bit handy, but the Honeywell link is broken, I'd love to replace just the coils! Could you post the link again or a reference number?

Regards, Matthew
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2011, 1:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

looking further

H96669

I went into the links you left, I'm going to be informed by email when the sensors come back in stock! I think I'll run with the second hand ones and see, but if when they come into stock I've solved the problem, I'll by some new ones that haven't thousands thousands of kilometers of vibration in them!

Thanks again, Matthew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode