K1200S engine, timing chain.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2010, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
Addict

K1200S engine, timing chain..

It appears I had a timing chain break on my 2006 K1200S with about 80k miles on the odo.

So now I'm wondering, anyone else???

It just happened, at slow speed to boot.

I still have to speak with the mechanic who had to leave for a week on emergency but talked to another tech in the shop so I'll have to keep you posted.

All the valves were bent, one of them as much as 1/4"!!!

It also appears this isn't normal and BMW wants to know why it broke as well as I do, per the dealer's comments to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2010, 9:52 am
Enthusiast

Keep us in the loop - I got a '06 as well - I hope this is not gonna a be a problem for K12S for us. BMWNA was little help for me on my airbox ,cam chain ten. & rear brake - AKA. stauling,slapping chain, and no rear brake = for a tune of $1400.+ repairs to me to pay out, thank god for no tax in NH

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2010, 3:10 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
It appears I had a timing chain break on my 2006 K1200S with about 80k miles on the odo.

So now I'm wondering, anyone else???

It just happened, at slow speed to boot.

I still have to speak with the mechanic who had to leave for a week on emergency but talked to another tech in the shop so I'll have to keep you posted.

All the valves were bent, one of them as much as 1/4"!!!

It also appears this isn't normal and BMW wants to know why it broke as well as I do, per the dealer's comments to me.
You're not alone. As for BMW wanting to know why ...
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21210

Few other threads discussing this as well. Search is your friend.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2010, 1:13 pm Thread Starter
Addict

thanks for the info ya'll.

I never thought about search, I mean, who woulda thunk??

Besides, I don't know what the diffs are between the GT and KS. I've not heard of this issue on the KS yet but don't have much time to read lately either. I don't own a GT but I've thought about it.

regardless, I'll keep you posted, the mech is back today and I'm sure he'll call when he can. I could not have landed at a better dealer in the entire USA when it comes to Don and service in Detroit. I bought both bikes new there and Don not only does good work, he will go to bat for you if he feels it is the right thing to do. Thats about all you can ask of someone!

ps...initially frustration sets in, disappointment, etc, but I just can't agree with the approach being taken by the fellow having problems with the GT, ie, not my style. Fix it and move on one way or the other. I like the BMWs, I just can't afford to keep going like this, just a simple fact. But, the dealer plays a huge part in the solution set and I've got the best working for me in my opinion.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Besides, I don't know what the diffs are between the GT and KS. I've not heard of this issue on the KS yet but don't have much time to read lately either. I don't own a GT but I've thought about it.
Differences are some ergonomics and tupperware. Motor is pretty much the same, with changes to the engine to produce a bit more torque in the middle of the range at the expense of the power at the top. ECU modifications along with that.

Good luck with it ...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2010, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I got to talk to the service mgr/mechanic today on the KS.

It appears the cam tensioner might be an issue. I had the cam chain/tensioner replaced around 35-40k miles if I recall, it was noisy at the time. Pistons are real close to the valves so there isn't a lot of room for slack/error.

I think it has something to do with the 12k mile+ tensioner versus the early tensioner, even though the timing chain broke when the engine locked up. Some pretty good dents in one piston, which they won't replace but claim it won't cause problems.

He has to figure it out first to report to BMW before they pay for the repairs, then hope he finds everything that is no good the first time so they don't need to do a repeat. Lots of mandatory replacement parts on this engine (one time use).

top end needs rebuilt basically. They will not replace the head or engine.

it'll be a few weeks before its done hopefully, I told him not to rush, whats the point.

It will be 4 years I've owned the bike come Oct 2010. With this repair stint, I'm looking at near 6 months this bike has been in the shop (2 transmissions, final drive) for warranty repairs.

I just dunno if I can keep on going like this. I need my bike! I'm looking at used long rangers since I totaled my LT in Oct in the meantime. good grief. My karma is rippin me a new one lately! But I'm still alive and drinkin beer so my mantra still stands...LIFE IS GOOD...but beer is better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode