'99 k1200 rs ABS reset - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 7:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

'99 k1200 rs ABS reset

Hi all,

I would like to know if the following procedure for ABS reset, for a 1150 GS applies to a 99 k1200 rs

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...cedurev1.0.pdf

If not, what other article is there available for it?

Thnks,
Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2010, 1:24 pm
Addict

It's important to identify your ABS system. My '99 is ABS II so I think yours would be the same - simple, no servo or interlinking.

I've never had to use the procedure, but I've pulled this from my 'archive' since I remembered there was something you had to do at the ABS connector. I can't say it works and all credit is to the original author who seems to have tried it on an early bike like ours.

Of course if there is a failed component, then even after a reset the flashing lights might come back and you have no choice but to get the dealer to tell you the fault code. Pray it isn't the dreaded 'ABS pump failure' code. But even that in skilled hands might be fixable, although a dealer won't mess with it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ABS II reset procedure K1200RS.pdf (11.3 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by voxmagna; Jul 19th, 2010 at 1:31 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2010, 3:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

That's very helpful, thanks!

Now... does anyone know the friction plate's thickness as new?

Thanks,
Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 5:50 am
Addict

New 6mm, replace at 4.5mm. At 36K mine was 5mm. That's measured across the overall thicknes of the disc - both sides and includes the riveted carrier.

The new replacement oem clutch I measured was made the old fashioned way with riveted friction material and there was just less than 0.95 mm of height to the rivets!

Now if BMW had bonded the friction material, we might have been looking for clutch mileages of 150K up. But then the clutch O ring always fails a lot sooner doesn't it?

My 5Hp lawnmower has 3mm depth of useable friction material to the rivets.

I try not to use the clutch too much!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 2:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Hi all,

I have opened the bike, finished it today. The gearbox was leaking towards the clutch and that's why it was slippery. Also, the slave cylinder was leaking. That one needs to be replaced too. The friction plate is ~ 4.9 mm.

I will post a picture of everything as soon as I get to the office and a data cable.

Thanks a lot guys!

Dan.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 2:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I don't want to be rude or something, but I like more a 1100 that has a cable actuated clutch than any hidraulical clutch. Too many problems with the last option of actuation, and more expensive to repair than a cable. :|
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 4:15 pm
Addict

But it's the clutch O ring failure that usually pours oil on the clutch first. If you factor in the O ring, seals, disc, a new slave and do it right, you should be good for quite a few miles with no problems. It's not that common for the clutch slave to fail first, unless the bike has done a lot of city miles.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 4:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

A new friction plate, slave repair kit, orings, gearbox input shaft seal. Everything will be renewed.

I am wondering... since all my bikes had a cable for the clutch, if properly flushed every winter, how many km's till the slave will fail again??

Dan.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2010, 7:54 am
Addict

I think you are just worrying too much that the clutch slave will let you down again. I don't think the clutch slave per se is a weakness. Perhaps yours has had a lot of use? Although I changed mine at 36K, it wasn't bad.

As you say, keep the fluid clean and changed. That clutch disc wear is about what I got with 36K, but I had no leaks from seals or slave. However, you still go in and do the lot.

I don't sit at stops with the clutch in anymore - always go into neutral. I do more clutchless up shifting with some down occasionally when I think I can get it right.

Good luck with the fix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode