Headlight issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 3:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Headlight issues

1989 K75C

My lo-beam is extremely low and now my hi-beam is not working. I realize that there may be several separate problems at hand here but here are my thoughts. First, my hi/lo beam switch is probably dirty/broken and may need replacing. This seems to be my problem with the hi-beam coming on and off as I jimmy the switch. As for the lo-beam being very weak I suspect there is something more going wrong. Is this simply an issue with dirty contacts as well, or could it be a sign of a weak alternator or battery. The battery indicator faintly glows, but it has been doing that for as long as I can remember. My battery is about 4 yrs old and the alternator is as old as the bike, however I have never had any problems starting the bike. I originally had an alarm, but it has been disconnected. I need a new battery, bulbs, and to clean all electrical contacts. What else should I consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2010, 6:16 pm
Looking for better limits...

The really radical fix is to re-wire it. Run two wires (one red, one black) from the battery (positive and negative) using #10 stranded wire to the headlight area. Get a horn relay that you can mount there, and run the #10 wires to the relay. Run a second pair of #10 from the headlamp to the relay. The #10 blacks are spliced to the same post and that post is for one side of the relay control. The original headlamp wire goes to the other relay control contact post. The red #10's go to their own relay contact post.
The #10's going to the headlight need a crimp-connector that matches the bulb tabs. Once crimped, solder it for good measure. Same with the wire connectors to the relay.

When the bike ignition is turned on, power will be applied to the original headlight wire, which will energize the relay and allow the #10 wire to light up the headlight with a whole lot less resistance. Press the starter button, the relay will drop as it should because the power is removed from the original headlight wire (load-shed relay), then gets applied again when you release the starter button. Light will be the brightest the electrical system can support.

You say the bike starts all the time, so you don't have an alternator issue. Batteries usually get replaced after 5 years or so, but some are like the bunny ... they just keep going and going. Your call on the battery.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 5:26 am
Addict

When the charge indicator glows dim that's usually a sign of poor ground on the loom or frame ground connectors. It could also be due to the poor grounding and thin wire in the headlamp assembly.

If you do what Razel says first, you eliminate all those up front ground problems and get some decent bright lights. Adding the relay(s) will also extend the life of your handlebar switch but you need 2 relays - one for low beam and one for high. Also check the battery terminals are clean.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode