k12s bearing failed in axel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

k12s bearing failed in axel

so I took my 06 k12s s in for its 18k service. all went well ,all-be-it expensive, and away I went. the dealer is an hour and a half away so I trucked it in, left it and then picked it up the next day. I didnt get to ride it right away(2 days) due to rain, but when I did the abs warning light came on. turn the bike off and restart and it goes away. I call them up and they say that its most likely a bad sensor and not to worry. so I make an apt to come in the next month(they are booked and so am I ). the more I ride the more i notice that it only happens when i go over 80 and then decelerate. I can ride all day at 50 and it never comes on, but go over 80 for a few miles let off the gas and red warning light come on. sounds like a sensor is touching something at speed and getting hot, tripping the warning. so i get it to the dealer and they find a bearing failed in the rear drive, causing the rear to flex enough so the sensor touches the sensor ring. the sensor is scratched, and the final drive fluid has metal in it. so they are not sure which bearing failed, so the have to tear into it. has this ever happened to anyone else out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Addict

On all models that use the BMW rear drive with ABS the sensors, the sensor clearance is only about 18 thou. If the rear drive bearing starts to fail or wear, the weight on the rear pushes the sensor closer to the ABS ring. With 18 thou clearance, it doesn't have that far to go before the teeth on the ABS ring mince away at the sensor head.

I'm sure others will chip in about oil, changes and their experience. For the future, grabbing the rear wheel occasionally to check for play and checking the sensor gap with a feeler gauge is a good idea. Others say you can feel when something is wrong at the rear. Do you have any warranty?

My question would be, you had it serviced and they should have checked the sensor clearance and done some simple checks for play at the rear. What did they do?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2010, 11:55 am
Rookie

Good question. What did they do? If they drained the rear drive oil hopefully they replaced it?

The frequency of Oil changes in the rear drive doesn't seem to be the reason they crap out.
Mine had 3 oil changes spaced out over the 11,000 miles when the bearing fell apart destroying the whole rear drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2010, 2:55 pm
Addict

Why is it BMW seem to have these problems with their rear drives, it doesn't seem to matter which bike model or year.

When I bought my first 'shafty' it was a Kawa and I thought I was getting a dive that was zero maintenance unlike a chain. It was.

I have been curious about the Jap shafties because I don't hear many bad things about them. When I look at their rears, the bearings casings look much larger than the BMWs.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:36 pm Thread Starter
Noob

yes I have a warranty. a 2 year extended. when it was in they said they did 18.000 and an annual service which included inspecting and sevicing the abs. it cost me $800. the warranty will cover the bearing that failed and the labor, but I will have them replace the other three while they are in there. so once again i will still have some out of pocket even with a warranty. I have owned 2 jap shaftys. one was a 1979 yamaha xs1100..fast and reliable. the other was a 1985 honda cb700sc, one of the best bikes I have ever owned. both were maint. free as advertised. I have only recently heard about the rear end failers across the models, but as this is my first bmw i did not think to research the reliability of the shaft drive. oh well, learn something new every day
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2010, 4:11 am

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode