K100RS Altitude Compensator - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2010, 4:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K100RS Altitude Compensator

I need some info for a 1985 K100RS altitude compensator. This bike is being moved from Michigan, 500 ft above sea level to the mountains west of Denver, 9500 ft above sea level. Is it necessary to make any adjustment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynepquinn
I need some info for a 1985 K100RS altitude compensator. This bike is being moved from Michigan, 500 ft above sea level to the mountains west of Denver, 9500 ft above sea level. Is it necessary to make any adjustment?
The altitude compensator is still dealer available. Should be easy to get in CO. I had one on on my '85 K100RT.
They are simply a loop of wire with a plug matching to the one on the bike. I cut the wire loop and installed a switch in the circuit, So it was easy to drop it out at lower elevations.

The compensator is supposed to make the bike run leaner at idle. Don't really know if it worked or not. I was running it up to 6K feet and I didn't notice any difference in the bikes operation. But, your elevation of 9.5K+ is a whole new ball game!!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2010, 7:37 am
Veteran

If I recall well and as Brucecha mentioned ,the compensator is only a loop in the circuit so it would be easy enough to fabricate your own if needed. It took me years in the 80s before I even bought one for my K100RS and had never noticed any loss of performance or such in them high Colorado passes.

But that was well before they started adding corn juice to your gasoline.....

However I just rode my K1200RS through Colorado last month,Yes west of Denver, and experienced a bit of surging and slightly erratical idle I can only attribute to the gasoline sold there which is compensated (adjusted) for operation at higher altitudes.

So it is probably a good idea to use that altitude compensator on your bike, above 4,500 feet I think was BMW`s recommendation at the time.

But.....be careful up there.......I could have used snow tires from all the fresh hail that had covered the road and was starting to melt.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode