K1200R 20'000km Service - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

K1200R 20'000km Service

I am taking my 06 K12r into Southwest Motorrad in Kelowna B.C. for the 20'000 km service on Tuesday..... Anything I should be aware of before hand? ie things they should be doing or things I should ask them not to do etc.? I reeeeaaaaallly don't want them to screw with anything they don't absolutely need to. I've always said If it ain't broke..... and I don't want to be charged for all the little stuff just so they can keep their mechanic busy. I like my bike and don't want it ruined!

Jerome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 3:12 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromy
I am taking my 06 K12r into Southwest Motorrad in Kelowna B.C. for the 20'000 km service on Tuesday..... Anything I should be aware of before hand? ie things they should be doing or things I should ask them not to do etc.? I reeeeaaaaallly don't want them to screw with anything they don't absolutely need to. I've always said If it ain't broke..... and I don't want to be charged for all the little stuff just so they can keep their mechanic busy. I like my bike and don't want it ruined!

Jerome
Is your bike one of the ones on the front brake line recall? If so you could get that done while it is in there.

Good luck. With their shop rate of $100 per hour maybe you should get a 'quote' ahead of time for the work........ Let us know how you made out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Okay here it is:

Here is a breakdown of my invoice. I don't have a scanner anymore so this it it.....
190/55zr17 Pilot Power 2ct Tl tire.... ..........................212.51
Pilot Power 2ct Frnt 120/70/zr17................................129.99
Tire Levy...................... ..............................................10.0 0
Air filter............................................ ...........................30.90
Gearbox oil............................................... ...................47.00
DOT 5.1 ( 500ml ) - brake fluid......................................11.99
300V 15W50 - just for a back up at home.......................22.95
Labour Charge 4.5 perform 20k service.......... ..............427.50
Labour charge 1 install tyres.................. .......................95.00

Total with tax inc. ............................................1106.3 8

Looks like it was just gear box oil ( I am assuming the final drive ), air filter, and clutch fluid ( possibly brake fluid too - 500ml ), on top of an inspection. I asked them not to change the engine oil as it was just done. Forgot to mention I had also just changed the final drive oil as well. I suppose it doesn't hurt to flush it out well tho.
The 4.5hrs for the service is incorrect. Their chart on the wall and what they quoted me was 3hrs. I thought it was high but I was in a rush to get out as they were closing.... I gave them a call and they charged me for a boxer engine service instead of the K bike service. On purpose or not, I caught it and got 1.5 hrs back..... Just a note Christian @ SW Motorsports said he had ordered the PR2's but they didn't come in. He thought they did, but they were on back order as the warehouse was out. I would have had to wait till the middle of september. No good. So he matched the price on the PR2's on the Power 2ct's. He said the powers are a more expensive tire but he'd do it to keep me happy. I also didn't want to take insurance off my bike or have to wait for tires.... The Powers will perform better anyway, just won't last as long. It will encourage me to take it a little easier if I want them to last.....
One thing I wasn't totally happy with was when they changed the clutch fluid they left some all over the left bar and guages. Looked like they tried to clean it up but it was still all over. Another thing is that an oil change is part of the service time charged. They didn't need to perform one but I still got charged the full 3 hrs. On the other hand I got a smokin deal on the tires ( for Canada its a smokin deal) @ $500.00 including taxes. Overall I am pretty happy with these guys. Since they have gotten rid of Robert, they seem much easier to deal with. Their labour rate is pretty reasonable considering Vernon Motorsports charges about 10-12 dollars MORE per hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Wow talk about expensive for that gear oil, about 30.00 more than what it cost at napa if what they charged you for was a quart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode