fuel leakage over hot engine - k1200r - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2010, 1:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

fuel leakage over hot engine - k1200r

First of all, I hope that You will be able to understand my English and get the point of my problem.

Few days ago, 200 km away from home-service I have experienced minor cracking of the connector which stands between reservoir and fuel hose. The outcome is that the petrol leaked all over the hot engine (silver colored) and now it looks like it is slightly yellow, like someone has urinated all over it

I have tried differently graded polish pastes but so far, no big success.

I'm sure that there is someone who had a similar problem so I expect some technical support what could I do (I really don't fancy painting the complete engine).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2010, 2:32 pm
Veteran

WD-40 worked for me.

Mack
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2010, 4:28 am
Addict

Regular cleaner should be able to take that stuff off. no need to use polish (which is actually a mild abrasive). I have used brake cleaner on a COLD engine before, or electrical motor cleaner, that stuff usually gets rid of anything and everything pretty well.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2010, 5:06 pm
Addict

This question is asked many times because K-Bikes have a bad habit of blowing plastic fuel line disconnects and pouring gas over the right side cover.

It's really down to luck if the above cleaners will work. If the bike is old and the paint well hardened you can be in luck. If the paint is newish in the last few years and the gas left on a while, it's not so easy as the stain may be deeper.

I've tried cleaners which didn't work. The last resort was a nylon kitchen scrub pad well wetted with methylated spirits first then brake cleaner if the stain hasn't shifted. If that doesn't work, as a last resort, see if Wurth silver wheel paint is a good match and spray over. It won't be a hard wearing finish, but might improve the looks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode