Instrument cluster problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 3:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Instrument cluster problems

I have been having issues with my speedometer, gas gauge, and odometer for sometime now. I have followed suggestions from other threads and nothing has worked. I have sprayed down every connection I could find with contact cleaner and I now have 300 ohms coming into the instrument cluster (more specifically the right pin connection looking from the back). I read that 280 is what is needed, so to my knowledge the problem is inside the instrument cluster. Right? I have also cleaned out the four pin connection leading into the speedo amplifier. The only other thing I can think of is the mechanism inside the final drive, but this doesn't explain why the gas gauge doesn't work. The gas gauge went out much later that the odometer and speedometer, so that may just be a separate problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 3:29 am
Addict

What bike, model and year?

The only way to start with K-Bike instrument heads on older bikes is to lift each terminal one at a time and thoroughly clean. Then put it back and go on to the next one.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2010, 1:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

it's a 1989 K75c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

Also, what do you mean by terminal?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Addict

Sorry, UK English.

I don't have your bike, but electrical problems tend to follow the same pattern. The KRS bikes connect the loom wires to the cockpit using individual hold down nuts. I don't know what you call them, but I call them terminals. Water gets up behind the instruments and those connections go bad.

As far as I can tell your model uses a big plug to join the instruments to the loom so I would start there with switch cleaner, but you say you have already done that.

Most bikes have their sensors wired through connectors so have a look between the sensor and the main loom. If they site these under the seat they can get wet and go bad. If you have a wiring diagram you should be able to trace out the wiring and check voltages. If you hang a 'scope on the speedo input line from the sensor, you should see pulses when the wheel is running.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 4:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I'm sorry I still don't know if I understand what you're referring to. There is one nut attaching the instrument cluster to the bike. There are two sets of three larger screws on the inside of the cluster, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. Other than that I don't see any nuts. Also, when you refer to looms are you talking about the blue circuit tape that is all over the place? I'll post some pictures later this weekend.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 5:56 pm
Enthusiast

Here is a good site with pictures for fixing the instrument cluster. http://skylands.ibmwr.org/tom/tech/speedo/speedo.html
I used a little graphite lube on the pins, and bent them a little to get better contact.

The gears on the odometer drive can turn to mush, a whole different problem.

The sensor ring can come off the gear in the final drive, causing no signal for the speedo or odometer. You can see it if you pull the sensor out of the housing.

A neat trick is to hold a soldering iron next to the speedo sensor when it's out - the 60 hertz cycle should make the speedometer read about 40 mph (I forget exactly)

I still got the original pod on my 24 yr old bike, and have had all of these issues, but everything works at the moment. (knock on wood)

1987 RED K75S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 9:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I like the idea with the sensor ring losing contact because that would explain both of my problems. When I pull it out there is only a male insert with a metal tip, is there supposed to be more to it? I also can't tell what's going on inside the final drive, and I've stripped one of the Allen bolts so i can't get in there. I will try your trick with the soldering iron. Do I just touch the metal tip of the sensor to the iron? If it then reads 40 mph (or so) then does that rule out the rear sensor? I will also try to scrape off and bend those 4 pins on the inside of the instrument cluster. I also tried to test those pins like was suggested in the article and I couldn't get a reading. Does this mean my problem is there or am I not touching the right spot? Sorry so many questions but this might be the most challenging project yet.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 9:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

One more thing I thought of was the way in which the speedometer went out. I have not been real kind to my bike over the years: I've left it uncovered and it had no fairing (leaving the back of the instrument cluster open to the wind and rain). Could my problem be that the two main cables in the rear have become dirty enough to cut off the connection? I have squirted some contact cleaner in there but nothing else. Is there a way to open up the plastic sleeve to get at the individual contacts, or do I break it and then get another one?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2010, 10:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Also the speedometer went out gradually (come on and off) leading me to believe it was becoming corroded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode