Change air filter - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 9:00 am Thread Starter
Lee
Enthusiast

Change air filter

I plan to change the air filter today on our RSs. I plan to tip the tank forward instead of removing it if I can. They are both full.
I take it, I'll need to disconnect the quick-disconnects in order to tilt the tank enough?

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 9:12 am Thread Starter
Lee
Enthusiast

I forgot to mention my wife will be gone today. Will I be able to tilt the tank and replace the filter with only two hands?

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:50 am

Wink Its Easy

Lee, It helps to have another person to help. I do not disconnect the fuel lines but it may be the way to go.
Make sure you use a white grease to seal the foam good and suck the box.

Good Luck its a breeze,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:09 am Thread Starter
Lee
Enthusiast

Make sure you use a white grease to seal the foam good and suck the box.
I really hope you mean vacuum the box
I did not think to put anything on the foam, thanks for that tip.

I did a search and one member mentions you need to move the tank to the right. With 40 lbs of fuel I better wait and have Debbie hold the tank so it does not slide off the bike. Also it was mentioned to remove two bolts at the front of the tank. I watched my Tech. remove my tank once and I just remember the front being held in place by two rubber holders. Is this right???
I need to go out and replace the fairing nose and pull the right cover. I'll get a better look at the tank to refresh my memory.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:20 am

Tough but doable with one pair of hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
I forgot to mention my wife will be gone today. Will I be able to tilt the tank and replace the filter with only two hands?
If you disconnect both the fuel lines and the vent lines, then you can remove the tank completely and out of the way ... no problems.

I disconnected the fuel lines, which gave the tank more freedom of movement, and my tank had probably < 1 gal of fuel in it, but I wasn't able to hold it up and out of the way while trying to change the air filter simultaneously all with one pair of hands. However, I did not disconnect the vent lines and got a 2nd pair of hands instead.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Addict

If you don't carefully remove the tank, you may find as happened to me, the whole lot keeling over off the bike, the fuel lines stretched as far as they go and a paint job on the plastic to sort out. Is it worth short cutting? Fit quick disconnects if you haven't got them, my tank's always coming off - the main wiring loom runs underneath, run the bike low on fuel before removing the tank.

When I'm not doing a full service requiring a new filter, I carefully blow the filter back through with an air line. Another reason for having quick disconnects and easy access to the filter.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 9:41 pm Thread Starter
Lee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by detour
If you disconnect both the fuel lines and the vent lines, then you can remove the tank completely and out of the way ... no problems.
It was warm today, well, warm for Iowa, so I went for a ride and changed the filter when I got home. After looking at the tank I decided it was safer and faster to just remove it and set it aside. If I left the tank connected to the fuel lines I was afraid I might damage the quick disconnects trying to move the tank far enough out of the way. I plan to remove the tank from now on.
Tomorrow's weather sounds good, so I'll get out for another ride on Debbie's bike, then change her filter.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 9:52 pm Thread Starter
Lee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTexas
Make sure you use a white grease to seal the foam good and suck the box.Good Luck its a breeze,
James, You are right, it was a breeze.
I had to vacuum out the air box, I had quit the collections of bugs in there.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode