intermittent fueling @ cylinder 2 on 06 K12s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2010, 2:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

intermittent fueling @ cylinder 2 on 06 K12s

well my adventure keeps going with this animal. finally got it back after replacing the rear drive unit(26 days at dealer) and all was going well. even took a trip to Detroit to watch the lions get their only win this year. she ran great..42mpg, avg speed around 95,1254 total miles and 9 hours of heaven each way. that was a little over 2 weeks ago, and yesterday began as always... start her up, warm up for about 2 mins(time to gear up) and off we go. first mile was cool, but at next light(1 mile up,around 50mph) she starts to hesitate and #2 drops out. so the rest of the way to work its a 3 cylinder bike. at hiway speeds(55-75) she tried to clear up, but anytime you ask for more gas she bucks and resists and at lights and low speeds(10-35) she is a nightmare. had plugs changed at 18k(now at 23k) and have been running 92-93 octane from same 2 stations. this happened in the middle of a tank, and i ride everyday so its not like she sits for more than 12 hours at a time. cant check plugs to see if fouled cause of radiator, and cant really take it to the shop right now so any ideas? should I try to run something like sea foam thru the fuel to clean injectors, or will this take some wrenching? I am moving in 4 weeks so if I cant fix it I will take her with me wounded and find a shop in my new local that may be able to help. speaking of that, any good BMW shops around Phoenix Arizona.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:38 pm
JCW
contributor

Just wondering. How do you know number 2 isn't running right?

Can you get in there to check the injector and spark plug connections?

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 9:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

cant get to the plugs cause they are behind the radiator and the injectors are just as hard to get to. to find out what cylinder is down I used an old trick, touch the headers and whichever one is 'cold' is the bad one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 9:50 am
JCW
contributor

I mean just jiggle the connectors a little. Maybe try to reseat them. You can reach in there.

My guess is a bad coil. They are know to crack and go bad. Is the exhaust all sooty?

There's a FAQ on changing the radiator fluid in the HoW. It's not too difficult.

You do need a special tool for the spark plug cap removal, though.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 12:23 pm Thread Starter
Noob

exhaust is fine. when you first start her up at idle it seems like she is trying to smooth out, but as soon as it warms up, gone is cyl.2. at higher rpm(5000-7000) she runs smooth then bucks then smooth, wouldnt a coil just go bad. and of course i need a special tool. BMW must be german for " you dont have the right tools".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 1:48 pm
JCW
contributor

You can have a bad coil that still fires at a much lower voltage/energy.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 6:44 pm
Addict

Its a coil I'll bet...06 KS here, exact symptoms and don't wait to get it fixed!

Heat out west hurts em bad.

I had 2 go bad within 30 days, of course the whole job had to be done again. The 2nd time however I told them to do the last 3 coils also.

That was about 40k miles.

I just had the big 72 or 76k service done before riding to MI early summer and while all that stuff is torn down, I had them replace all four coils, they went up a bit to about 135 each I think, ouch. But I also ruined my sensor and stock exhaust when all the gas dumped in and I rode the thing to the dealer the first time it happened... cherry red pipe inside, brown chrome! had to fix all that too, great excuse to buy the pipe you wanted though

happy trails...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 11:38 pm Thread Starter
Noob

thanx for all the info. so I guess I should invest in replacing all 4 as long as i have it torn down. is there anyway to remove the radiator without dumping all the fluid?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2010, 11:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

forgot to ask...who does your service out in AZ?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Addict

I used Motoghost last time, he moved close to my house in AZ. I'm well out of warranty so it works for me and he did a great job on the 76K or whatever service (at 78K), he makes changing tires so cheap I almost want to sell my NOMAR...almost.

Scottsdales further from me but I've been there for all service previously while in AZ (no its azride or something, can't remember off hand). No worrries there either.

Never been to Ironhorse but they helped me once over the phone with a 2nd opinion, way outta there way and they are somewhat legendary in the biz I think. I still owe them a purchase from their dealer sometime when I get down there for a visit.

I only do tires and oil changes on my bikes (other minor stuff) so I can't help you with the maintenance procedure. I know they had to do a lot of work to get access the first (2) times and its expensive. Four coils should run you about 500 bucks or so at the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode